Macro/ Mangroves needed PLS!!

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm fighting a losing phosphate battle and therefore mad cyano.. and forsee the only way out as adding some mangroves or macro to the 'fuge.. I consider Brightwell Phos remover as a temp emergency measure, but need somthing more long term.

Drove 300km to my not-so-local fish shop who could not help.

What i need is sombody kind enough to post/courier somthing to me. Will gladly pay if need be.

Mike

Macro algae helps but you'll get better results from something like GFO in a reactor. Get in contact with a sponsor here, they'll deliver to your door.

Hey guys,

I'm fighting a losing phosphate battle and therefore mad cyano.. and forsee the only way out as adding some mangroves or macro to the 'fuge.. I consider Brightwell Phos remover as a temp emergency measure, but need somthing more long term.

Drove 300km to my not-so-local fish shop who could not help.

What i need is sombody kind enough to post/courier somthing to me. Will gladly pay if need be.

Mike
mike what are your no3 readings? cyano is notmally an indication of higher no3 readings and not higher phosphate readings although the two go very closely together. personally i would look at adding A SCRUBBER AS A LONG TERM SOLLUTION well before i would add mangroves. try lower the phosphates with a decent phosphate remover while you work on a scrubber.

any idea why you are having unstable water parameters?

p1110433.jpg

ZoaElite's 170g Mixed Reef - Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

p1130636.jpg

Polyps Galore, 70+ Colony Zoa tank - Reef Central Online Community

mangroves are a protected species. You need permits to collect/own them - yes even the seedpods on the beach.

Last edited:
As HenkHugo says Mangroves are a protected species, but also not efficient nutrient removers in any case. I would suggest using a DSB with macroalgae such as caulerpa as this will bring down both nitrate and phosphate levels, possibly using phosphate remover to help with phosphate levels I prefer iron based and not aluminium based). An even better solution will be using an ATS, if it can be fitted into your system, either with or without the macroalgae. I light my macro 24/7 to help stabilise pH and push up oxygen levels as well as stop sporation.
An ATS can also help cool your tank if that is needed (as a bonus).

Back
Top Bottom