lyretail anthias

Reaction score
so i was hoping to add 4 lyretail anthias 1 male,3 females to my 350l display,500l total volume along with these...
3 chromis
1 kole tang
1 lawnmower blenny
1 sand sifting goby
2 fire gobys
2 ocellaris clowns
2 purple orchid dottybacks
1 cleaner wrasse
1 fairy wrasse

Do you already have the 2 x Purple Orchid dottybacks in the tank? I read somewhere that they're agro if note introduced at the same time and given enough space.

uhhm wrong dotty back its a purple orchid
I know its the wrong dottyback.... But they are still the same family....
Do tangs fight each other? A Purple with a Yellow? An Orange Shoulder with a Scopa - and these two are not even in the same direct family, they are like cousins.
Well, dottybacks are worst, no family love there.

Keep an eye on them. One day they will take on one another. Move the one them immediately.

if they attack anything i will move them no problem i am just saying that there are exceptions to everything and these 2 i got when they were like 4 weeks old so they are growing up together and they are one of the more placid dottybacks just because they are in the same family doesnt mean ALL dottyback species are agressive and even if they are fish have persinalities like us and not all are angry territorial things. They are by eachothers side 24/7 they live in one cave and since they are the last fish in they arent exactly boss. but if there are problems i will take them back but after all this you still havent answered my original question this thread is about.

I know its the wrong dottyback.... But they are still the same family....
Do tangs fight each other? A Purple with a Yellow? An Orange Shoulder with a Scopa - and these two are not even in the same direct family, they are like cousins.
Well, dottybacks are worst, no family love there.

Keep an eye on them. One day they will take on one another. Move the one them immediately.
and i dont believe tangs attack eachother because they look alike i think they attack eachother over the fact they eat the ame food source... just my opinion:blush:

if they attack anything i will move them no problem i am just saying that there are exceptions to everything and these 2 i got when they were like 4 weeks old so they are growing up together and they are one of the more placid dottybacks just because they are in the same family doesnt mean ALL dottyback species are agressive and even if they are fish have persinalities like us and not all are angry territorial things. They are by eachothers side 24/7 they live in one cave and since they are the last fish in they arent exactly boss. but if there are problems i will take them back but after all this you still havent answered my original question this thread is about.

and i dont believe tangs attack eachother because they look alike i think they attack eachother over the fact they eat the ame food source... just my opinion:blush:
keegz i hear your frustration over the fact that your original question isnt being answered and that you feel you need to defend those two dotty backs in such a small system, but the guys are just trying to forewarn you that you will most likley have problems in the future and are just trying to help you. I agree with the others that two dotty backs (especially the same kind) in a 350l system will have trouble sooner or later and I'm afraid with dotty backs once they start fighting its normally too late to split them, they simply kill each other fairly fast:( take a note of what so many people are saying there is wisdom in the advice, but by all means do what you think is right. It is worth noting with dotty backs that those which are captive bred tend to be far more docile towards each other (and other fish) and perhaps the fact that you got them younge and added them together means that they are tollerating each other and grouping together for protection. But the day will most likely come that this will stop.

regarding your theory on why tangs fight you are partly correct, although riaan is more correct :p tangs of similar body shape have a tendancy to be far more territorial towards each other and are likely to fight. the reason for this is predominatley over territory in order for them to protect the feeding grounds they have and fish with similar body shape is most likely to be in more direct competition, and thus they box.

with regards to adding 4 anthias to this tank with the current stocking you have I would advise against it. the tank being 350l is on the minimum side with regards to their swimming space requirements and the fact that you need to feed them small amounts several times a day would mean that your tank might be easily over stocked. Personally i wouldnt reccomend it.

hope that helps:)

Last edited:

Your opinion is slightly incorrect, tangs that look similar attack each other. Not sure where you are getting your info from, but point us in the right direction here, it's a common fact that tangs do fight and are very territorial. Introduce a new tang or even a similar shaped fish into a tank with a tang and you'll find that there will be problems, countless people have encountered this, including myself.

We are not trying to squash your dreams, just trying help you.:)

keegz i hear your frustration over the fact that your original question isnt being answered and that you feel you need to defend those two dotty backs in such a small system, but the guys are just trying to forewarn you that you will most likley have problems in the future and are just trying to help you. I agree with the others that two dotty backs (especially the same kind) in a 350l system will have trouble sooner or later and I'm afraid with dotty backs once they start fighting its normally too late to split them, they simply kill each other fairly fast:( take a note of what so many people are saying there is wisdom in the advice, but by all means do what you think is right. It is worth noting with dotty backs that those which are captive bred tend to be far more docile towards each other (and other fish) and perhaps the fact that you got them younge and added them together means that they are tollerating each other and grouping together for protection. But the day will most likely come that this will stop.

regarding your theory on why tangs fight you are partly correct, although riaan is more correct :p tangs of similar body shape have a tendancy to be far more territorial towards each other and are likely to fight. the reason for this is predominatley over territory in order for them to protect the feeding grounds they have and fish with similar body shape is most likely to be in more direct competition, and thus they box.

with regards to adding 4 anthias to this tank with the current stocking you have I would advise against it. the tank being 350l is on the minimum side with regards to their swimming space requirements and the fact that you need to feed them small amounts several times a day would mean that your tank might be easily over stocked. Personally i wouldnt reccomend it.

hope that helps:)
thank you for finnaly answering my original question crispin,i respect your advice and will take 1 dottyback back to lfs when they helped me box them for move and maybe i will just add 2 chromis instead of anthias?

Just to throw a spanner in the works here.

I have two large orchid dottybacks which came out of a LFS tank full of them. They have never been aggressive towards each other, in fact quite the opposite, they hang out together and dont bother the other fish (I have a small tank).

But to be clear there are two different types of purple dottyback.

I have these guys with the stripe through the eye and they are well known to be one of the least aggressive dottyback species if you go read up on them: Pseudochromis fridmani.

p-90003-fridmani.jpg

The ones to steer very far clear from are these guys: Pseudochromis porphyreus

p-72524-purple-dottyback.jpg

Back
Top Bottom