LPS corals in ultra low nutrient system?

Ues, yes and yes. I have one rock with quite a bit of interesting algae, and a few patches here and there. Only have 1 emerald and one snail in an almost 600 litre system though...
And they alao have the ability to trap detrtus from which they harvest nutrients befor it even gets to the water...

Ues, yes and yes. I have one rock with quite a bit of interesting algae, and a few patches here and there. Only have 1 emerald and one snail in an almost 600 litre system though...
And they alao have the ability to trap detrtus from which they harvest nutrients befor it even gets to the water...

My feeding regime is simple. Lots and lots of fish roe per day, and twice a day a frozen cube of each of the following: Artemia, REd and green Plankton, Mysis, Brine shrimp as well as the following flakes once a day: Formula 2 flakes, prime reef flakes, formula 01 marine pellets all from Ocean Nutrition....

But bare in mind that I have a huge water turnover. I have almost 30 000 lt an hour flowing from my filter to my tank, excluding the wave pumps inside the tank. We switch return pumps off when feeding, else all goes over the weir.....

And i am running lotsa carbon, filter media as well as filtersocks inside the filtertank, before it goes to the jo-jo tank and then flows back to the main display.

I had to remove some of the filtermedia as well as an extra skimmer and reactor when the Lps started suffering.

@Irie_Ivan, sorry tjom ( lol) , i was tired and did speadtyping from the phone while lying in bed,hence the blah blah. Was not to offend you, you should know me better...

As for the algae, I do understand tangs eat them, also, it was not being sarcastic, but something i would like to know, as i saw bleaching occur on the algae growing inside the jo-jo tank, and could not find info on the net wrt ULNS and algae...

Ohh, difference between LNS and ULNS in the general reefers dictionary, LNS- NO3 below 2 And PO4 below 0.5 whereas ULNS goes to the undetectable scales........

Lol, uncle @seank. Definitely was not offended by anything you said.... You'll have to try harder... A lot! I was lying in bed too and getting frustrated at how difficult it it to type a long reply on a iphone. Navigating in the dialog box is frustrating when there is soo much going through my mind that I cannot type fast enough....
My most humble apologies if my tone came across weird... It took me a hour to type all my blah blah.... I'll apologise properly when you put me on a school of krokodil cuta or when u in cpt and i teach you how to catch 100 snoek in 3 hours.....;)
Anyway. True about the lack of info on the whole algae and ulns thing, Google only takes us up to a point...
Really love those fugures you mention when tslking flow!!!!! Would love those rstes in my 500L :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ja, you would love the flow, but definitely not the power consumption...... %*&@#%* hate the elctricity rate thing where we get penelised for using more than the next guy......
Agreed on the typing thing, wish some clever oke wants to invent something where one just talk and it gets typed..... On a phone....

Please see if you can get more algae answers, I really do not want to loose the algae growth in the jo-jo tank...it is a haven for a lot of critters...... And been there since the start of the jo-jo....

Btw, we catch snoek with lines, no dragnets....lol

Kkeping thread on its rails

Last edited:
get a heap of emerald crabs to keep your rockwork clear of algae. they are the new hermit but without the baggage. much more gentle on corals and eat hair algae. cyano and bubble algae. i have two but have ordered five more! get some it will be the best investment ever!

Last edited:
get a heap of emerald crabs to keep your rockwork clear of algae. they are the new hermit but without the baggage. much more gentle on corals and eat hair algae. cyano and bubble algae. i have two but have ordered five more! get some it will be the best investment ever!

Lol, yep, i got a couple of those... Love those little guys!

Lots and lots of fish roe per day

Probably not relevant to the thread, but there really is something special about fish roe..... Especially when you caught the fish who carried it.....

Anyway, re your query.... @seank , could not find all that much, other than that micro algae like bryopsis and derbesia start dying back at 0.03. I do however suspect this is relevant to a system with a very low or non existant po4 pool.
Was flipping some pages in sprung and deelbek volume 3 last nite and spotted a line about the ability of algae and the bacteria on the algae "being able to mine" po4 from substrate.

Probably not relevant to the thread, but there really is something special about fish roe..... Especially when you caught the fish who carried it.....

Anyway, re your query.... @seank , could not find all that much, other than that micro algae like bryopsis and derbesia start dying back at 0.03. I do however suspect this is relevant to a system with a very low or non existant po4 pool.
Was flipping some pages in sprung and deelbek volume 3 last nite and spotted a line about the ability of algae and the bacteria on the algae "being able to mine" po4 from substrate.

But why would it turn lighter in color...... Just had a look now again, and the algae is still living but much lighter in color than what it used to be. I suppose the extra sun and heat we have, could also be a factor, but doubt it would be a bad thing??

Back
Top Bottom