Louw's Tank

Reaction score
On Crispin's request and advice. The absolute beginning. Water still on its way. Need to buy the Live Rock. Please feel free to give advise. Where to buy & what. Let's see where this leads...

Please give us some more details about your tank/setup!!!!
Thanks for the response. It is a 1.8 X 0.6 X 0.7 tank to hold approx 800L. Aqua Excel 405E Protein Skimmer. 3000L/H SunSun return pumps from the sump. 2X Vibe j202 internal flow pumps (12000L/H). Akwa 1.2 m lightning kit with 2X 150W MH and 2XT5s... 300W Jager heater. I need some Live Rock to fill the tank etc.

Nice size tank.

Carefully check out that skimmer, from my own experience if I can't find it through a simple Google search, then generally it is not a mainstream product and may not be up to spec.

Check out Dory's Pets, they have some wicked LR at present.

That's a big tank that's going to need a lot of rock. Why not use the carib sea base rock as your foundation and top it with live rock. After a few months you won't even know the difference. Also regarding your skimmer. If you cannot get local support for the skimmer with parts and service don't bother. Rather go for something that is backed locally. I'm no rep for Reef Octo but if something goes wrong you don't have to wait months for a spare to arrive. Things get sorted out quickly

Aqua Excel and Aqua Naught (same thing) use aqua bee pumps and impellers similar to the deltec ones. They are good skimmers.

However i get the feeling that you are in way to deep already. Do not purchase another item for you tank until you have a clear picture of what is required to keep a marine tank successfully and a plan on the setup. A bunch of equipment sold to you might not necessary be what is required for the inhabitants you envisage to keep. So before slapping the system together in your eagerness, yes we all went through the same thing, ensure that you fully understand why you are setting it up that way. It will save you and the creatures a lot of stress. Please take the abundance of advice you will receive from this forum and put to use and dont be shy to ask questions.

Good luck with the new setup, take it slow and follow advice from MASA ;)

Get some good quality LR and let the tank finnish the 6 - 8 week cycle before putting any livestock in.

Keep us updated :wave2:

Great size tank keep us posted and maybe some pics!

22614acdac68f05d1.jpg

Nice tank. Is that tank in your bedroom.
Yebo. Otherwise we figured that we will not "interact" with it as much as we would like to.

Anyway... Included is a pic of the skimmer as well. There was a lot of Q's about it.
22614acdb66f6a2a7.jpg

Good luck with the new setup, take it slow and follow advice from MASA ;)

Get some good quality LR and let the tank finnish the 6 - 8 week cycle before putting any livestock in.

Keep us updated :wave2:

Hi Tobes. Got LR from the Shop in Lifestyle. They where not 100% cured yet... been there for about 2 weeks so I got them for a very very very good price. Since I do not have any live stock yet I figured it will not harm anyone. The system is running for 2 weeks with the rocks in it. the Salinity is on the dot as tested by Moolis and the Alkalinity is approaching the correct levels... I understand that adding new rock introduces spikes in these levels and I should add all rock we would like asap.

Next is Nitrate tests if I'm correct?

Back
Top Bottom