local transkei mushrooms (trumpet like) turning white???

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Iv been a member for a while now and have been gathering
Up a lot of info over the last few months from the site.

However this is my first post, about 4 months ago I put some trumpet like mushrooms
into my tank they have been doing well up untill about a week ago.
For some reason a few of them started to dovelope white patches and now
One of them has turned almost completely white. They are supposed to
Be brown with a green center. They are still opening and closing and have noticed
At least 3 baby ones sprout up in the last week.

Any info on what could be causing this to happen would be greately appreciated
Oh ja. I almost forgot I had my water tested and all is well according to the LFS

Ill try and post a pic of them

welcome @weezle

i dont think you have mushrooms but rather a member of the zoanthid species, as we do not have mushrooms this far down below durban..

please do post a pic for clarification it will help us determine more accuratley whats wrong.

What did the LFS test for and what were the values? also did you change the lighting at all? maybe they have sufferred some light shock?

i have recently had most of my corals bleach only to find my salanity was way out of wack..

pictures will definatley help..

Last edited by a moderator:
The whitening sounds like they are bleaching. Are they in a shaded area, how much light and flow are they receiving?

Come to think about it I just changed the flow in the tank a bit by moving the inlet
More towards the center of the tank and have also changed the lid of the tank and lights.
Perhaps this is part of the cause. I'm trying to figure out how to post a pic and I will
Post the water results this afternoon

The whitening sounds like necrosis to me, pics to confirm.

But rich, necrosis would cause for white fleshy spirals to be visible from the coral, not white spots???

Hi chaps.
I will do my best to put a picture on in the morning my temp is constant at 25 degrees.
Just had a fun filled hour trying to catch my yellow tailed cleaner out the sump the dummy
Went through the overflow.

Without pics we farting against thunder....
The sooner we can get a diagnosis the quicker we can save

Are you dosing iodine? What other corals are there?

I'm only dosing with calcium plus. Iv got different zoe's ,candy canes, red mushrooms and 4 feather dusters
5 fish and one shrimp.
If it is necrosis can it spread through my other corals?

My guess and it's a guess is iodine is lacking, specially with softies, but let's see the pics when u can

Back
Top Bottom