Lobster - New Addition

Muz

Reaction score
The miss bought me this for my birthday .. 'Enoplometopus debelius'

Lobster1.gif

Lobster5.gif

lobsterphoto.gif

Sep22007010.gif

Stunning creature. Tell us some more about it. Is it reefsafe? Maximum size etc. etc.

Yes, I'm too lazy to google it :p

He is a great character..

Reef safe
grows to about 15cm max ( claimed )
peaceful
Hides a lot cos they don't like light, tend to come out at night for food
Eat leftovers and dig around in substrate for food but leave wrasse alone if buried
Level of care - easy

Not much else to say, a great addition to the tank, cost between R150 - R250, same as a shrimp.

Muz

Very nice.

The other good thing you forgot to say about it, is when it is bigger you can eat it.:nono: only joking.

Can you keep it with shrimp?

Yeah.. yummy !!

Well I have 2 cleaner shrimp one big and one small, I have been reading up on him and the only tank mate I am worried about is my hermit crab, they say that you should have a larger hermie but mine is a small blue leg so we will see, I will be devastated if he eats my hermie .. he has just moved into a bigger shell so there is room for him to retract far into the shell for now.

The only thing I have not figured out is how to feed him, I was thinking of putting a mussel onto a veg clip, but the shrimps will get there 1st.. I feed 4 times a day but only a small pinch of flake or half a cube of frozen food so I don't forsee anything being left around for him to scavange on..

Any ideas

Muz

PS: thanks M

Nice...bet you will think twice before you stick your hands inside the tank....I like your Bi-color, how big is she?

How about some defrosted hake? Very nice shrinpie! We shall call him spot! Cause he has a spot :) on his tail.

I’m sceptical about keeping lobsters in a reef tank as they are bound to chew on some of the inhabitants and knock corals over as they get bigger. You might hear glass shatter middle of the night as it has brought your reef crashing down…

Nice...bet you will think twice before you stick your hands inside the tank....I like your Bi-color, how big is she?

LOL, she is a character and a half.. she is not so big probably around 6 - 7cm.. Henk.. This guy would have to be on steroids to break my glass, even fully grown, I have researched this particular guy and reefers around the world keep them with no problems, they are reef saf so no munching on any mates and they are quite shy so I doubt he will be making with a prison break anytime soon. Lobsters are not known for breaking glass from what I read.

Sep12007017.gif

no where in my post did i say the actual lobster breaking the glass...

Sorry, I should have said ' This lobster would have to be on steroids to knock over a rock and smash my glass " :whistling:

I think he is probably a few years away from being able to do that.. shame ie is only like 4cm.

nice lobster, but i'm with henk i do not trust lobster. i know your researched said they reefsafe, like the bicolor angel. but what is reefsafe? my reefsafe bicolor loves lps so not i have lovely trachaphyllias in my sump because he nibbles them.

i'll keep a close eye on him and hope he's no problem b a delight for u

Be very warry of these lobsters. They get big really fast and can and will catch and kill their tank mates. I know all the local fish shops in my area and they contstantly get these things returned after a few months when the tanks are empty as they have eaten the fish. I still think these should not be for sale at all, unless for a species specific tank.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, good luck with your quary.
Neil

Be very warry of these lobsters. They get big really fast and can and will catch and kill their tank mates. I know all the local fish shops in my area and they contstantly get these things returned after a few months when the tanks are empty as they have eaten the fish. I still think these should not be for sale at all, unless for a species specific tank.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, good luck with your quary.
Neil

Neil, thanks for this, I don't want to disagree with you because I believe this is what the forums are about.. getting to the bottom of inconsistant information, but I have 3 websites and a marine atlas that disagree with you, and another reefkeeper who has had 2 in his tank for years without a problem.. can you provide me with any more info and / or any resource material I can refer to.

Jeez, the last think I want to do is introduce something that will eat my fishies !

Appreciate the comments.. I want to get to the bottom of this.

MUz

Hi Muz,

I know there are may books out there that say things are reef safe. I bet the same books say your angel is reef safe too:lol: ?

Here are a few links. At the end of the day, it is your tank and your choice, but just thought you like the warning.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=555

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=191374&highlight=reef+lobster

All the best,
Neil

Neil, thanks for this, I don't want to disagree with you because I believe this is what the forums are about.. getting to the bottom of inconsistant information, but I have 3 websites and a marine atlas that disagree with you, and another reefkeeper who has had 2 in his tank for years without a problem.. can you provide me with any more info and / or any resource material I can refer to.

Jeez, the last think I want to do is introduce something that will eat my fishies !

Appreciate the comments.. I want to get to the bottom of this.

MUz

Thanks for the links.. I'm going to go through them now..

Shot

Muz

Awesome looking lobster! hope for your sake it all works out

Back
Top Bottom