Little bit of Cyano history

Reaction score
ok i'm reading this book by Bill Bryson - a short history of nearly anything- its a great book if u curious to know why sea is salty and all other science related things...

in the book it gives a short history of cyano bacteria:

1) its the oldest bacteria in the world, formed during the first billion years of earth

2) the absorb water molecules and suck up on the hydrogen present in water, and expell oxygen as waste (hence bubbles on red cyano are o2)

3) cyano is the first ever bacteria to "invent" photosynthesis (not invented by plants as most people think)

so just some info for you guys to suck on.

2) the absorb water molecules and suck up on the hydrogen present in water, and expell oxygen as waste (hence bubbles on red cyano are o2)
That's interesting, I never knew that.

pretty sweet. was at my LFS today and i asked him how he gets rid of cyano, he told me that by placing a pump with a "air pipe" (not proper wording) ie. make it blow tons of bubbles. into the sump, it would super oxygenate the water and kill off the cyano.
is this true?

pretty sweet. was at my LFS today and i asked him how he gets rid of cyano, he told me that by placing a pump with a "air pipe" (not proper wording) ie. make it blow tons of bubbles. into the sump, it would super oxygenate the water and kill off the cyano.
is this true?

Yip as is very effective, just becareful if you have clams

Clams won't suffer from short-term mass induced bubbles into the tank, Warr. As long as it is not HUGE HUGE HUGE amount of bubbles, constantly for an extended period of time.

My 2 ReSun Waver's suck air when they switch to 15000 litres per hour more, every few minutes or so.... Then my tank becomes quite milky white with air-bubbles for a short amount of time (this happens because my down-pipe's inlet hole is a little bit low'ish (due to my sump flooding 1.5 years ago.....).... So - the wavers' sit about 2cm belowe the water's surface....

I have 4 clams now, and none of them has suffered any problems since I had them. My oldest clam (in my tank) is a year and 3 months...

You're lucky Jacques, clams do not like bubbles, unless they are exposed to it day in day out, IE: a tidal pool etc.

is this true?
If you basting the bubbles in the sump and the bubbles are not entering the display causing a surge,it will not effect clams.

i have left a clam out of the water all night(12hrs) and placed it back the next day, and it is still alive to this day. did it to proove my friend wrong, he said the will do fine out the water for that time,he was right, AGAIN.

Back
Top Bottom