Lime Green Wrasse recently added - dead or alive?

Reaction score
I have added a Lime Green Wrasse to my tank on Sunday morning (21st March), as I got it into the tank it did the usual Wrasse thing and shot straight under the gravel. It hasn't come out and it is Wednesday evening already - do I dig around and disrupt my gravel in an almost futile excersize in hope to lure it out in hope that it is still alive or could it be dead under the gravel? How long do I leave it alone before I start "hunting" for it? The other fish in my tank are 2 Chromies, 2 Blue Damsels, 1 Violet Angel and 1 Maroon Clown. All of these fish swim about actively and don't seems disturb one another - that ruled out my theory of them being overbearing and keeping the Wrasse underground - but am I mistaken? This is an awesome fish and was 100% healthy when I put it in, my tank is running seemigly OK so there isn't any reason I understand for it to be gone for this long as general reviews talk of it being and easy fish to keep...HELP!!!!

How big is the tank?
How long has it been running?
How did you acclimatise the wrasse?
What substrate you got and how deep is it?

Rem the wrass that was bought to catch the Teddy crabs?

Anyways I have seen the system and zombie clam is working on sorting it out. He will also be setting up a small QT tank. No more LS will be going in till it is sorted and mature.

Thanks Nemos Janitor, yes that was the one I was referring to. No Thursday evening and still no sign of it. I don't want to go and make amess of things and start digging just because it is nice to get the fish out, I am more concerned over the thought of it dying or died under the gravel and it creating even bigger problems. If it is nothing to worry about and that he may well be alive but simply "scared" to come out then alright then, I just have a concern about it having died.

In either event it is still a stunning Wrasse to look at so I am at the same time eager to see him around but have patience if it takes a long time for them to show it's self, so if it did "turn turtle" - that would ver very unfortunate...

Three possibilities. Teddy crabs caught it and killed it. It is still hiding under the substrate. It died and the Teddy's have or are consuming it.

Do not scratch for it.

I once had a 100mm regal tang get serious white spot and completely disappear in my tank.
Couldn't find its body in my 6ft and wasn't prepared to start moving rock around.
Lo and behold more than 2 weeks later it appeared looking none the worse for wear. Was fine after that.

Basically I am going to just hope that it shows it's face eventually, I can't help but walk in after work and go straight to the tank in hope that it might be out and about but I also creep up to the tank in case I scare it...

5 days really isnt that long for a wrass to hide, and id hazard a guess that it maybe comming out after lights out anyway.there is a chance that the teddy crabs catch it where its burried, but you knew that before putting it in.

just give him a little longer, like a week :)

To be honest, I knew it was going to duck under the gravel when I got it, I wasn't certain about the Teddy's giving him a go because I thought it to smarter than that and just move away from being "eaten alive"...In any even't, it would be very unfortunate if he doesn't show up, if he does - awesome, if not, the Teddys had better enjoy their meal coz in that case their food costs more than anything else's in my tank. Tomorrow is going to be day 6, I will just keep the update for informational purposes for those who would be interested.

A friend of mine was moving into a bigger tank and he informed me that when it came time to get hold of the Wrasse, it ducked into the gravel and with him being over eager to move it, he scratched around but after about an hour of scratching in a 3ft tank he gave up and just netted it the following day. So that is also a bit of a thing to learn in there is basically no point in me even considering digging around. I am going to mess up my tank and accomplish nothing.

No, my avatar is just a random pic. If you run a Google search on Lime Green Wrasse you will find pics of what it looks like and all it's characteristics, all of which don't give me any data to work on rearding it's dissaprearance. Now 7 Days down and still not seen it...

Just random feedback that it still has not shown it's self.
It is either gone and never to be seen again, or only comes out in times when I am not around the tank...very sad, next time I will just take a pile of money and burn using the lowest demonination so it burns for a while, the entertainment value will be greater than the 1/4second flash I saw as this guy flicked it's self under the gravel and never to be seen again.

My leopard wrasse once dissappeared for something like 2 weeks - also thought he was dead. He then showed up one day and was a bit bigger then the last time I saw him. He might come out at night when you're sleeping, who knows...

Maybe I'm the eternal optimist, but I stilll think its going to pop out any day now.
i'm still with you, i think its prob still there, assuming its survived accclimatisation and is hiding.

i had a guineifowl wrass that went into hiding and would be noctural in his hunting. i only say him 2.5 weeks after introduction and that was by mistake in that I had to get up early one morning and saw him hunting around the reef.

what you could do is hange your lighting cycles slightly and have the actinics (assuming you have t5's) to come on early morning and you be there then to see if he is out.

i only saw that wrass of mine late evening and early mornings but he did get much better at being out with the lights on, every glance of that fish was special though :)

Back
Top Bottom