Lighty's New 110g Tank

using bicarb of soda, could I not mix the the baked and unbaked and test separately till the ratio doesn't change the ph of the tank water?

Come on Hennie?

I did a test with my tank water and found after adding 4 parts unbaked and 1 part baked bicarb it had the same pH. So if I had to mix it in this ratio and add the my tank it should not affect my pH?

my system is 520l, and about 6dkh, what quantity would I need to mix?

Come on Hennie?

Ja Baas ...

I did a test with my tank water and found after adding 4 parts unbaked and 1 part baked bicarb it had the same pH. So if I had to mix it in this ratio and add the my tank it should not affect my pH?
you've answered your own question :whistling:

my system is 520l, and about 6dkh, what quantity would I need to mix?
Test your alkalinity (dKh) now (or whenever convenient) and then again after 48 hours, without adding ANY buffer, calcium, kalk or other additive. The difference in alkalinity, divided by 2, will be your tank's current daily alkalinity demand. Post this figure, and I will do the calcs for you.

Hennie

Thanks Hennie, just worried as I only have a crappy Red Sea test kit and doesn't give such a good reading. should I not just dose a little until it brings it up to the required level? little by little?

I don't think the Red Sea alkalinity test kit is too bad - in fact, I think the alkalinity test is pretty accurate on just about any test kit :)

should I not just dose a little until it brings it up to the required level? little by little?

Yes, you could certainly do that. Or better still, do that until you reach an alkalinity of (say) 8, and then stop the addition for the 48 hours to determine the Alk demand.

You will need approximately 5 level teaspoons of bicarb to increase the alk from 6 to 8 (excluding the alkalinity demand ot your inhabitants...). For your size tank I would start off with 1 level teaspoon (5ml) of mixed (baked and normal) bicarb dissolved in 500ml (or more) RO water per day, and then increase to 2 teaspoons per day if needed.

Your 'balanced' calcium level at an alkalinity of 8dKh should be 417ppm.

Hope this helps :)

Hennie

Second you Gaz.

sorry guys, just been really busy lately, will do a full batch of tests tonight and post them.

as well as some more pics.

Update time

Hi

Here as those pics I promised.

392484eea6656335.jpg

392484eeabee67bb.jpg

392484eeb194de1c.jpg

392484eeb80d05cf.jpg

392484eebd7e2cb4.jpg

392484eec49442fc.jpg

:wave2: :wave2:

Water Test

I haven't been able to action the advise recieved and calculate the Alk and Ca usage yet, but have now done some tests and will give it till Friday night (72 hrs) to retest and calculate the consumption.

Test done 1.5hrs after lights off (Will this be OK)

Ca = 400 - 450 (50 mg test kit).........OK
Alk = +- 6.3 dKH.............................Bit low
pH = 8.0........................................Bit low

What you think?

awesome dude! i really really like your aqua-scaping, love the open look you got there, i'm sure your tangs also loves all that swimming space, very neat :thumbup:

ps. are those durban zoa's?? very cool!

awesome dude! i really really like your aqua-scaping, love the open look you got there, i'm sure your tangs also loves all that swimming space, very neat :thumbup:

ps. are those durban zoa's?? very cool!

Thanks, still need some more rock for the aqua-scaping, those are Durbs zoa's.

Great Justin! Your tank is now starting to look really nice! Yeah - just needs some more rock (a wee bit) and some more corals ;-)

Nice collection of fish and zoa's!

BTW: I agree - use some sodium bicarbonate to increase your pH (to a max of 8.2/8.3)..... This will automatically increase your alkalinity as well....

Back
Top Bottom