Lights

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just received my new tank and hopefully all the necessary goodies. I just have a question about the light unit I bought.
My tank measures 1500x600x650 mm and the light is 1 meter long.
It seems to small and too short. Apparently I will have to add another one later on. The wattage seem too low as well. Or are these fine to start off with?
Is there a better way of doing the lights that will be more suitable in the long run. I want to keep corals and fish.

Thanks,
Hendrik
70347ecef1c0f368.jpg

Hello Hendrik - the lights will be 100% fine for fish only, as well as some soft-corals that are not so much dependant, and possibly more adaptable, to lower light environments....
So - to start off with, these lights should be fine - BUT, you will most likely want to upgrade in a few months' time....

Is it possible to swop those for a 54W unit.

You will get by with them but I reckon 54 W would be great

Hendrik - it's your choice in the end. If you want to upgrade now, before you start - go for it. That means - you could perhaps use BOTH the units, if you are planning to get another, perhaps 54W T5 unit.... The more light, the better for the corals, and the more types of corals you can keep.

You could always keep the corals in the middle... Remember those globes will only last a year or so you're going to have to replace anyway.

If you can, take it back and get the 54w unit, otherwise you will have 50cm's of unlit tank.

yes.go for it.what you planning on keeping in this tank?FOWLR or corals?and if corals,what type you keeping ie SPS,LPS or softies?
cool

I am going to put in live rock, corals (I assume the softies are the easiest) and fish.
They said I could take it back, so that is what I am going to do.
The unit have 2 white and 1 blue. Should I get the same combination?

2 white and one blue is good. Basically white is for growth and blue for colour.

Hendrik...what is that white stuff in those plastic bags? It looks like rather large white stones, is that for your substrate?

It is crushed coral (1 to 3 mm). Not sure why it looks like large stones on the photo.

Hendrik not wanting you to spend more money but I would not use crushed coral as it can turn out to be a detritus trap. Try and use use Carribsea aragonite for your substrate.

Back
Top Bottom