Lighting problems

Fishy Steve

Hiden super user
Reaction score
I want to get a t5 unit at the end of the month. My problem comes in with my tank size. It is 76cm, so its in-between the 60cm, 24w and the 90cm, 39w.

I don't want to spend a fortune so ati and geismann are out of the picture. Aquamedic have a nice 39w unit thats in my price range and I'm ok with the look of it overlapping the tank. I just want to know if there are any major downsides to having the overhang.

If so I was going to try the new(ish) hagen glo double 24w unit. I have read mixed remarks about it but the bad remarks seem to come from the people that haven't actually used it and write it off automatically cause it's not geismann or Tek or any of the other name brands. Don't know if anyone knows anything about them or actually has used one? They have a single (european made, high polished) reflector but the lights are spaced far apart to let light through and the reflector is parabolic(don't know how that helps).

Any comments will be appreciated.

Hi Steve - Perhaps still go with the ATI unit. Not that I use the high-end T5 units, as such, but at least you should get decent support after sales. Also - I have indeed read a lot of good reviews of the ATI units. Also - the dual 39 watt's will DEFINITELY be a plus over the dual 24 watt units.... More wattage for your tank.

Jacques, so the overhang wont be a problem? The lights will only be 14cm longer.

I would say go for a 24W unit. It's only 8cm each side so raise the T5's 10cm or so (if you even need to). I doubt you will have any "dark patches" because the T5's are obviously fairly diffuse. Rather get say 4*24W than 3*39W. The only problem is 24W T5's seem to be less available than 39W T5's.

Darrencon, is the hagen setup on your organic tank?

Got the hagen 2x24w unit today. They didn't have the hagen bulbs so I got aquamedic one's and holy crap it is so bright. I never thought two little lights could do what they're doing. I'm really impressed. The unit looks really cool as a bonus to working well. My midas blenny was scared into his hole for a while but came out a few minutes later. Now I can get some decent corals and start my reef in a box. I'm just a beginner but I'm sure It's bright enough for most things besides sps coral. We'll soon find out.

Back
Top Bottom