Light for Cheato

Reaction score
I got some Cheato currently just in my main tank. I want to put it in a sump compartment of the Boyu TL-550. Any suggestions for what light I can install that will support growth and where I can buy it?

There is a post by Charl Shepston I think, he has a rack installed in the 2nd from left compartment with some media and the top of the rack has cheato in and a light.

Im not sure how much available space u hav but the magnafuge lights from YuppiePets are awesome. My chaeto grows wild

Hi,

I also use a CFL. Not on a boyu though, so not sure how you can incorporate it. I use a normal light fitting for it, with no cover. Hadnt had any issues, and been using the same bulb for the past year and half. You can also use the LED downlight. A friiend of mine uses this with great success.

I have two led downlight units from Builders, works like a charm. Just make sure its 6000K. Normal light fittings.

Similar to this

1368624190_436463120_1-Pictures-of--220v-3w-gu10-led-downlightsled-floodlightssolar-batterypanel.jpg

If you really want it to grow, I had a 100w spot above mine, trimmed it every 2 weeks... Overkill? Yes... Efficiency? Definitely (on growing the chaeto that is, not on electricity consumption :p )

I also have Chaeto in my sump and was wondering what the ideal photoperiod is to get max growth ? Is it bad to have your sump lights on 24/7 or should it be 12 hrs ?

Minimum 6 hours darkness for Chaeto. They need the dark. Caulerpa can be run on a 24 hour light cycle to prevent the algae from going sexual.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:

I had chaeto in the 3rd compartment from the right. I ran a 3w warm white led on a small little heatsink off an old cell charger. (led stuck on thin piece aluminium) glued between the compartments. See pic below. Egg crate below chaeto. Worked very well.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom