Lesson learned

Reaction score
Learned the hard way hermit crabs attack and eat corals,caught my hermit crabs munching on my corals last night have since moved them to my sump.Is this there normal behavior?

Which hermit species is that?

Some species are worse than others, the best is the Caribbean red legged/blue eyed hermits, they haven't touched any of my snails, and stay quite small. Plus they apparently also eat cyano.

Okay thanks but we dont get those here the only once we get are the local ones that live in the Persian Gulf.

Some species are worse than others, the best is the Caribbean red legged/blue eyed hermits, they haven't touched any of my snails, and stay quite small. Plus they apparently also eat cyano.
Aren't those the scarlet crabs. Well I've heard they also eat Cyano so I bought one. Have not seen the bugger eat cyano or do anything for that matter.

uploadfromtaptalk1462894351640.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If all your corals and fish are local, then its OK to collect locally plus returning locally. As long as you never add fish from other places in the world.
Reason is that you could introduce sicknesses into your area from Philippines or wherever.

Are there any books available on the coral reefs in Persian Gulf? What is the water temperature in that gulf?

Books not that I know of but most of our caral is the same that is found in the red sea ,yemen arabian sea and the Indian ocean.I have even found fish that I use to see in Sodwana and Kosi bay.All my snails and hermit crabs are local ones but you may not take out coral from the sea so those I buy in one of the local LFS s.

Back
Top Bottom