LED's explained + review

Hi Jumbo - what did it cost you for these LED lights - if you dont mind me asking - i want to start using it on a frag tank?

Not here yet, hopefully still this week so I dont know what they are going to charge for import duties but its $53 per lamp and $48 for DHL to deliver 2 but I think they should come in between R650 and R750

They look exactly the same as the one in the pic with the same kelvin output

204.png

Just an update on the LED unit I am using; it is still running well, no cyano the corals are all doing incredibly well under it.

So far so good...

We dont belive you :p show us some proof :razz:

Okey... Well, I got a semi bleached Ritteri Anemone that I placed under the LED's, and within a short period of time it coloured up nicely. I only had the nennie for a month now and it is looking good. It loves the LED...

14594cd91f62959a4.jpg

Oh, please, I just wanna say at this stage that people must noot just look at my last post and think they can keep nennie under a DIY LED headlamp or the likes... PLEASE read the entire thread first before getting a nennie under a Rio Moonlight unit or a Dymax LED unit... ;)

Yeagh I have 2 Dymax LED lights and can see at this early stage that it is not bright enough for more advanced corals.....

Can we get a FTS? I would like to see how the tank looks under the LED lighting

Hi Jaco do you have any SPS under these lights and how are they doing? Since you are one of the very few people here actually using these cree LEDs, what are your thoughts on 48 3W crees for a 4-foot tank?

Sorry to have to add this, but just a word of warning on LED's, that I picked up two weeks back.

There was a very interesting talk at imacsa on leds by Mark Vera (quite well repected in this field) , and according to him, while LED is a great technology, it has a long way to go in so far as the marine hobby is concerned.

He was given the Solaris LED system (specifically made at high cost for the marine tank) to try and while initially it made his tank and corals look fantastic, after a few months all his corals on the side he was testing (next to a side with halides) started to die.

He says that the problem with these lights are that the spectrum they produce is so narrow that some important aspects of required light are missed out on.

Intensity might be on a par (excuse the pun) but it seems that the miss the mark in some way on the spectrum side.

He said that they are fantastic in improving the look of corals as a suppliment but not so good for the health of the corals.:(

Sorry to have to add this, but just a word of warning on LED's, that I picked up two weeks back.

There was a very interesting talk at imacsa on leds by Mark Vera (quite well repected in this field) , and according to him, while LED is a great technology, it has a long way to go in so far as the marine hobby is concerned.

He was given the Solaris LED system (specifically made at high cost for the marine tank) to try and while initially it made his tank and corals look fantastic, after a few months all his corals on the side he was testing (next to a side with halides) started to die.

He says that the problem with these lights are that the spectrum they produce is so narrow that some important aspects of required light are missed out on.

Intensity might be on a par (excuse the pun) but it seems that the miss the mark in some way on the spectrum side.

He said that they are fantastic in improving the look of corals as a suppliment but not so good for the health of the corals.:(

I totally agree on this, although the spectrum that led's don't have that corals need aren't needed in high quantities, thus just adding a few t5's will still be saving energy and you will have all the correct light spectrum's.

l.e.d's suck for coral growth,
nice to make tank pretty and effects.....but they dont have the wavelength / spectrum needed for coral growth and survival.

hybrid lights are the way to go....

ie leds / t5
led's / mh
led's plasma

cant wait for plasma to take off

Yes, I had a SPS under the LED. It was doing very well, but I had it on a pico tank at that time. Due to (IMO) the directional lighting given by LED's, the one half of the SPS started to bleach!!! I swear, I have never seen or heard about this. The area that was in the shade, was white with no polyps at all, yet the area that was exposed to the light was 110% healthy...

Now, as far as a FTS is concerned, it would not really help much. On the larger tanks both myself and my dad runs we haave additional lighting too. He runs 4x 39W T5's and a 150W MH. I run addiotional T8, 24W T5's and the LED.

All in all, I have been happy with the LED, I must admit, but as far as running a full SPS dominated tank, anything bigger than 2ft would be too pricey, and I am not so very sure about long lasting effects after the top few posts...

On the softies I have, and the nennie right under the LED, they seem fine (for now...)

there was a really incredible detailed rundown on the production, quality, specs etc etc of leds at a recent conference, and when i say detailed, i mean detailed from how each colour is produced to the only 3 companies in the world that manufacture l.e.d diodes, to how they seperate the good leds from the bad leds on there batch runs........thats right...one batch will produce hiogh and low quality leds etc etc.
the high quality leds last longer etc etc
also leds and heat dont do well together.....
bottom line from the dudes in the know is that physical testing on marine corals is a negative result.....
the dude that spoke was even sponsered by one of the manufacturers and had to go back and tell them the products that they were making aimed at the marine trade were no good, and they had to rethink the stratergy in order to stay a reputable company supplying the trade......
therefore the use of hybrid lights is fast becomming popular.
testing done on plasma however unleashed incredible results, but the technologies is regretably still too new and expensive..........this should balance out in 2 or 3 years.
i stand to be corrected and have sent a mail to get the reply.....but im pretty sure softies and anenomes too suffered.....dont quote me though......im just the waterboy, not the light boy:p

Back
Top Bottom