LED lighting possibility

Reaction score
I can get a floodlight made form LED's which is the equivalent of 350-400watts of normal power. It comes in pure white or they can special order what they call a GBR (green, blue, red) and a controller can have the colour/kelvin specified to your requirements. Now a lot of guys Have gone the LED route on reef central and If I supplement these lights with blue LED fluorescents would this work? Does anyone on Joburg have a meter that reads the PAR rating of one of these lights.

This light only uses about 20Watts and can be either 12V or 220V. It has a lighting spectrum between 520-530nm and only costs R2300-00 bucks. Tghe company is called Tytan and they're base din Honeydew.

What do you guys think

Hi Tony I think Scott from Aquarium depot has one try get hold of Lanzo and ask if he can ask Scott to test the light for you

Tony - I know R2300 is a lot of money. But, personally, I think that it might be worth trying it? BUT - let's wait first to hear what Lanzo has tocsay. I too know that he/they tested someLED units.... not too long ago?

I just want to try it to put my mind at ease. I just hope the guys will allow me to bring it back if it doesn't work

interesting, i am in the process of testing some LED solutions, i have a unit that emits 6500K thru to 8000K, using only 25w, now just to see the effect on my corals

hi tony

i also tested one with 300 led's and the light intensity is there but the photosynthetic photmeter didnt come to the right amount.

So rather ask them to test it before you buy it....the led's need to be 3w(high intensity and at 45 or 60) degree angel each minimum.

Readings must be at leats 2000 at a globe and a few cm away it needs to be at leat 1000 and under the water the reading must be at leat 450

We tested the elos lightwith only 18 LED wit 4 blue once and it measured off the scale a few cm from the led's and at the bottum of the tank it measured 500

i dont think you will get the right reading with that fixture...i have tested a couple of local LED flood lights and it was to weak...it looses alot photosenthic power in a short distance....for fish only it will work briliant...but not for corals.

Try to get 3-5w high intensity led's

just some pointers;)

they dont give any lm output on the site,very strange i think it will be too weak as it only uses 20w, but hey try it out with a par meter that'll put your mind at ease

Thanks for thge feedback. They do have high output LED's up to 8 watts and about 500Lm. Look in their indoor section

Back
Top Bottom