Lawrence

Reaction score
:slayer: Hi there
new to this site , just want to say hello and tell you a bit about my tank.
Tank is called a BOYU
Its not very big as I am still a beginner and wanted to start off small and the do A larger tank...which I have already got[6i have foot] a bit later in the year.
Anyway my current tank only hold 42l , I started it 2 months ago and have just added fish about two weeks ago. There is 1 x box fish , 1 x clown fish and 2 x damsels. all the fish are looking happy and seem to like there new home. I have a bio filter which has filter sponge , live rock , ceramic filter bags and carbon. I have a protien skimmer and do a 10% water change each week. Please send me any advice , I have a lot to learn...
thanx
Lawrence

hi Lawrence, welcome to MASA.

It is actually easier to keep a larger tank stable, small tanks can go very wrong very quickly whereas a larger tank has sufficient water volume to forgive our fumblings.

I would reccomend you remove the bio filter, it's sponge and the ceramic filter bags slowly reducing the rings over the next few weeks, whilst doing 10% weekly water changes, all these will have an adverse effect on the ability of the liver rock to do it's job properly.
I would also say - don't add any more fish for the time being to allow the live rock to build up sufficient bacteria to cope with the waste produced by the fish.
There is plent to read up on and learn about on this site, so spend some time going through the forums and see what you find (there is so much you will be falling over it.)

Tell us a little more about your tank, a pic would help, the more info we have. the more we can help.

Welcome to MASA Lawrence :)
Im with Wee man on this one.Start working on your large tank,and save up money for equipment, LR etc... for the big system.

Thanx for the advise.. tell me , I have my filter system running in this oder at the moment. water pases through a spong , then through well cured live rock , then through ceramic rings , then carbin filter bags , then ceramic rings and finaly through bio balls . I was also advised to add a air ston below the bio ball as it helps airrate the water. Am I on the right track?

Last edited:
Thanx for the advise.. tell me , I have my filter system running in this oder at the moment. water pases through a spong , then through well cured live rock , then through ceramic rings , then carbin filter bags , then ceramic rings and finaly through bio balls . I was also advised to add a air ston below the bio ball as it helps airrate the water. Am I on the right track?

As i said above, you need to remove all bio filtration other than the liverock, and airstones are a bad idea, good surface aggitation by aiming a powerhead to ripple the surface of your tank and the skimmer will give all the gas exchange your tank requires.

As i said above, you need to remove all bio filtration other than the liverock, and airstones are a bad idea, good surface aggitation by aiming a powerhead to ripple the surface of your tank and the skimmer will give all the gas exchange your tank requires.

why are air stones bad?:slayer:

Hi Lawrence welcome to MASA, see you from Ballito. Where abouts? I am up in Zen Drive.
Anyway, i am assuming you have chunks of live rock in your filter and not in the display itself, replace the ceramic, bio balls etc with live rock, its all the filtration you will need and then add live rock to your display.

A very warm welcome to MASA Lawrence! The only reason why you would want to use airstones in a marine tank, is to assist with pH stabilizing, or to increase the ORP (oxygen reduction potential).....
And then the airstone is placed in the sump... not in the display...

Back
Top Bottom