Law

lol, yup. I am jus about learnin to crawl :D
no anenomes for now.
will only get live sand and rock for now.
unfortunately i am limited to the T5 lighting dory's pets have.
54W wite 10 000K
" actinic blue
" actinic plus powerchrome
" aquablue plus "
" midday "

any good combo's with any of these?

also, is saltwater made from tapwater ok for curing?

lol, yup. I am jus about learnin to crawl :D
no anenomes for now.
will only get live sand and rock for now.
unfortunately i am limited to the T5 lighting dory's pets have.
54W wite 10 000K
" actinic blue
" actinic plus powerchrome
" aquablue plus "
" midday "

any good combo's with any of these?

also, is saltwater made from tapwater ok for curing?

If budget is tight, why not DIY?

Those are also all Giesemann globes, which are the best, but double and even triple the price of say other globes. You can mix the Giesemanns with say ATI or something cheaper - With the Aquablue, one does not too much actinic, as it is a combo globe that burns at 11000K.

I am with Norries, if you cannot get RO immediately, rather wait until you can - do not use tap water, you will save yourself so much pain in the long run

Thanks, u guys are a HUGE help.
So im goin RO all the way.

then how about
2x T5 white 10 000K
and 2x aquablue?
(or 1x aqua 1x actinic)

Thanks, u guys are a HUGE help.
So im goin RO all the way.

then how about
2x T5 white 10 000K
and 2x aquablue?
(or 1x aqua 1x actinic)

The Osram Skywhites are pretty good and cheapo - 10000K, perhaps 2 off. I would then add a 15000K and an Actinic (go for the Giesemann actinics, even at the steep price)

Anyone else have some thoughts?

I have 2 x Giesemann Actinics, 2 x Giesemann Aquablue and 2 x Osram Skywhites which I DIY'd (you can get the end caps and ballasts from one of the sponsors - probably set you back around R180 for a dual T5 ballast and say R40 per end cap (get the waterproof ones) add a few rflectors and you are done

sounds good, not sure if dory's pets got 15 000K's though..
so maby 3x 10 000K's and an actinic?

IMO 2 things not to cheapo out on are:

1) Lighting if going with coral
2) Skimmer

Salt you can get some very good cheap brands, and tyou can gyppo most of the expensive name brand additives at a fraction of the cost by visiting your local pharmacy (Ca, Mg etc) but ask/search the forums first!!!

You can get away without things like a auto top off (if you are religious enough to add RO every day) and there are some VERY good pumps on the market for great prices.

All good advice has been given except from Crispin, whom obviously has never been to Dorry Pets - NOTHING WRONG WITH THE SHOP OR LANZO but it's just almost impossible to walk there:razz:

take a walk when they open and have a look at what lanzxo did on his 1.2 (i think he still has it) with regards to lighting.

i dont think 2 t5's will be enough, but what length or watts are they?

Dude please listen/research/ask then decide on any purchases. Rather target a piece of hardware and save for it then go and buy crap that will break the bank and kill the livestock. There are many willing reefers in Pretoria and chat to them as well as Lanzo/Dorrey and you'll get good guidance and it'll save you and the treasures we all try keep in the most prestine conditions we can.

Also there is a whole lot of good equipment the guy's and gals sell here on the forum which will save you ZAR and you'll get to know more Reefers.

alright.
this is my starter kit.

5kg live rock R500
2 x skywhites R 360
1 x aquablue R 330
1 x actinic R 205
ballasts R 400
Skimmer - R 720 (100 gal)
wavemaker- R 288 (pump 3)
test kit- R 168
saltmix- R 440 (175 gal)
live sand- R 280 (40lbs original)
thermometer- R24 (Stainless w/Hanger)
reverse osmosis filter- R 860
fans - R272
heater - R 208 (2oo watt)

Total 5055

thats perfection right?

Some of us are in the game for years and still dont get perfection but you definately going in the right direction - this list should get you on your way to a great start - why not start a new thread and let us enjoy your build as you go along!

Gr8. idea. will start one as soon as i ship it all in, and its all set up.
with pics etc.
im so glad, with the proper planning/websurfing it all woked out pritty cheap.

Thats what what we here for bud - to help out - no financial gain just for the lllloooovvvvveeee of it! Even our sponsors prices in comparison to some pet shop prices you will find extra $$$$$ in your pocket!

zerger..just read through your whole thread and firstly Welcome to MASA , great on you for joining and asking for advice :thumbup: You will find loads of info here

See you've been given lots of advice and I am not going to elaborate on anything (info overload :p), what I can suggest is why not attend our club meeting on the 24 th , you will meet a few crazy reefers wher you can discuss your plans / ideas & questions in person.

You will also have the opportunity to see an awesome tank build.

Just PM Hannesco

zerger..just read through your whole thread and firstly Welcome to MASA , great on you for joining and asking for advice :thumbup: You will find loads of info here

See you've been given lots of advice and I am not going to elaborate on anything (info overload :p), what I can suggest is why not attend our club meeting on the 24 th , you will meet a few crazy reefers wher you can discuss your plans / ideas & questions in person.

You will also have the opportunity to see an awesome tank build.

Just PM Hannesco
great idea, just dont ask hannesco what that build is costing, even I am scared to hear what thats setting him back.

oh and zerger dont listen to them, its easy to walk to Dory, a slight hill to go up but nothing your enthusiasm wont handle :)

alright.
this is my starter kit.

5kg live rock R500
2 x skywhites R 360
1 x aquablue R 330
1 x actinic R 205
ballasts R 400
Skimmer - R 720 (100 gal)
wavemaker- R 288 (pump 3)
test kit- R 168
saltmix- R 440 (175 gal)
live sand- R 280 (40lbs original)
thermometer- R24 (Stainless w/Hanger)
reverse osmosis filter- R 860
fans - R272
heater - R 208 (2oo watt)

Total 5055

thats perfection right?

You obviously not married.:) Us married guys tend to hide those figures from the spouses. Wait, you'll still see how they add up, and rather throw the slips away, as it can become very depressing going thru them at a later stage:thumbup::biggrin::1:

Ill think about it. where is it etc?
lol, I hear u crisp.
hahaha, I know what u mean sean. not married or anything, but ive gotten these type of hobby/obsessive feelings B 4.
like the one time I wnated to build that carnivorous plant terrarium...
turned out horrible.. lost millions..
(exaggerating ofcource :D)

Back
Top Bottom