Large system water changes

Hmmmm, my system holds about 2000L and i do 100L per week with NSW. The only time you can change too much water is if you do a large water change like a 50% at once, then beware of the parameters.
Before starting in marines my love was discus and the breeders in Malasia, Singapore and such places dont know anything about filtration and do 2 x 100% water changes daily.

out of curiousity,how many litres is your display alan?

agree with you mekaeel on durbans water. i was having major hasles with my set up when i was using nsw. i havnt used nsw for about 5-6 months now and the tank is running well. i feel that if you use nsw one needs to filter floss, carbon and uv it before dumping it into your tank..... too much hassle for me. i get away with a 50l change on a 1000l setup every sunday without fail. i was thinking of upping it to 100l but i started to siphon the gravel and stir all the shit off the rocks before taking water out so the water that is removed is really , really dirty. my params are very stable and all the nasties are undetectable before and after a water change.

tell me about our water wizard!collected on a day when the water was sparkling,then chuked it in to a 100L drum and ran a skimmer in it,and if you look at the skimmate you'll never trust the water.i am gona collect further north like from where alan collects (Ballito) or maybe south

i used to collect at rocky bay quite often ( south ) but it just turns into such a ball ache. my biggest worry about nsw is that you actully dont know what you getting along with water in that bucket. i have been keen to set up a little "purification plant" for nsw and just go get 1000l at a time. skim, filter, carbon and uv the shit out of it.

lol, but there is no doubt that correctly "processed" and tested (but how would you do that) nsw collected from a clean sea is better with regards to nutrients and compounds and parameters. i would rather just use synthetic as it is much easier (pour stir and add ) and can be made on demand. plus you know what you are getting. i wouldnt like to do a nsw change and find out that there was something dodgy in the water and WHAM!!!! 15 grand of livestock wiped out.

ok ill stop now. i really dont want to start a nsw vs synthetic thing again.. besides im off topic ( at least going in that direction)

iv just done 650l change on my tank and its just something i get use to. my main issue is topping up as i dont have a R.O andim loosing 25l per day

To get back to the original question: You do a waterchange on the entire system volume! Whether you decide to do 10 percent weekly to 30 percent monthly, you still do it on the entire system.

Your water cycles through your entire system, so the pollutants, or reduced parameters are everywhere in the system. I syphon mostly out my tank only, but syphon the amount of 10 percent or whatever of my total system volume! Occasionally I siphon my sump or dsb if there is excessive settlement of detritus. I prefer disturbing settled detritus in my sump with some powerheads a few hours before waterchange, as this will return detritus to the display, for corlas to feed and for me to siphon out as much as possible when siphoning out the display!

Rocky bay warning

i used to collect at rocky bay quite often ( south ) but it just turns into such a ball ache.

Never mind skimming the crap out of the water just check next time you reverse down the ramp as that storm we had washed out the entire bottom section,

which I'm very dodge of it collapsing and having to leave my car to neptune.

Back to the topic,

I do 500liters once every six weeks NSW. No ball ache involved, use a generator with a 12000l tank pump chuck in the tidal pool have a cigarette and pack up.

I then drain my five foot tank which is connected to the display fill this.
five foot.

Back
Top Bottom