kyle's Newborn Tank

Would anyone know where i could get a purple tang in the jhb/pta area?
Do you know how expensive these fish are ?

There is one LFS in JHB that regularly imports, but you need to place an order.

PM me if you want their details, as they are not a sponsor

pic10.jpg

How would i be able to get the above effect in my tank (across the whole back pane of the display)?

I would like to "stick" pieces of this "flat-bio-rock" on to some sort of medium so that the glass doesn't take any strain!

This raises a few questions:

1. What would be a safe non toxic adhesive I could use and where could I get some from?
2. I would like to assemble it in two or three pieces piece outside the tank, sort of like a made to measure "backscape" and jus slip it in (as to not get any glue in the tank and it would just be easier), thus what would the ideal surface to be used,i.e, thin,leight weight and relatively sturdy and wouldn't pose any danger to the inhabitants (what is the blue stuff in the picture?)
3. Where would one get flat rocks or would you have to cut them yourself?

Thanks.

No, not really, but im sure if one uses egg crate to put the rocks onto, it could work...come on where all the engineers??

you could do it with eggcrate and cable ties. you have a flat piece of crate parallel to your tank back, and you can have one perpendicular strip running down the centre upright making a T shape. You would have to see how thick the middle bit of the eggcrate will have to be to hold it or you could have three uprights, and a big base, so if you are looking at the side of the tank it would be an L shape, the base you cover with sand, and the back bit you cover with your rock, or paint it black!! thats a good fix. but you would still need those centre pieces to stop it buckling in on itself. savvy?

No, not really, but im sure if one uses egg crate to put the rocks onto, it could work...come on where all the engineers??

I wouldn't risk it. Eggcrate ain't that strong. And if rock/s fall off = 1 x broken tank.

I still think the fibre glass rock is way safer. I just took down a tank with live rock attached to eggcrate via cable ties and one or two twists and the eggcrate snaps.

Lets remember eggcrate is used for light diffusing so strength and consistency may not be as important as we want it to be

Back
Top Bottom