Urgent help needed klunzinger wrasse with pop eye

Reaction score
hello.. i have a wrasse that was in a tank with ich. i treated the tank because all the fish had it but the wrasse has no white spots. then i noticed his eyes were swollen one more then the other. i put in alone in a hospital tank and he is alive but just laying there and not eating. his eyes look somewhat better one is almost normal and the other one is smaller then it was. i hope to get antibiotics for him tonight. is this a good idea? will nature run its course and he can heal on his own? i have a pic to show. also no one in the tank or this fish is eating for a few days now. thanks for your help in advance
30214bcc6ac8a70ec.jpg

Pop eye generally sorts itself out after a week or two, but the fact that you mentioned that none of your fish are eating could be a serious problem, have you tested for nitrite or ammonia? Could we have some more information on your tank?

thanks for the advice. i use natural sea water and sand in the tank and everyone got white spot at the same time... treated the tank.. i have 4 tanks.. so theyre still being treated with higher temp of 30c and water changes after medicating twice. ive done PH tests and its in normal range.. i don"t have separate ammonia and nitrate tests.. would i have to worry about it as much with real fresh sea water? i live across the street from the beach. im new to marine aquariums but its something im enjoying getting into. except for the sickness. my other tanks are fine and i have the wrasse in his own tank.
30214bccded01e70f.jpg

also the white spot appears to be gone atleast past the cycle of being white spots..but now they dont eat.. the striped damsels eat a little but not the raccoon, fish or the threadfin, or the small butterfly fishes. and also the wrasse isnt eating but i think its because of his eyes.

For wrasse not to be eating, or have white spot there is a serious problem somewhere, how long has the tank been going? What filtration etc are you using, also 30deg is too hot for the fish, it should be no more than 28deg max, you need to please let us know more about the tank.
If you don't have a chiller, use pc fans in the hood.

What fitration are you running on this tank as there are no live rock inside? That tank is also way too small for those butterflies. They like to peck at rocks and there are no rocks - sorry for saying this, but you have a couple of unhappy butterflies in there :(

awwww ok well i have no problem finding live rock or any rocks.. i live across the street from the beach. what kind of rocks do they like to peck on? they seemed really happy til they got the whitespot. the wrasse i have him in a hospital tank and i got antibiotics and his eyes are looking much better and still getting better im happy about that.. and he seems to be getting his energy back.. they all seemed happy and eating alot til the white spot. and the wrasse never had spots.. his eyes got swollen. i dont want the fish to be unhappy or sick. thats for sure. thanks for the input.. no i dont have a chiller or fans but ill work on that. the fish guy we deal with said to rid the tank of the white spot have to raise the temp to 30 for a while. i am not sure but i know the red sea is very warm. its like 90f outside at nite. mayube i should take a thermometer to the beach and test the water there.

also i just got protein skimmers last nite so thats a plus. i mean i will solve these probloems even if i have to put the fish back in the sea rather then have them die unhappy.

I am not too sure about the "fish guy" who has been giving you info, raising the temp of the water so much can't be good at all.

The next point is taking from the ocean, maybe I am alone in this, but if everyone just kept taking from the ocean, we may find delpetion of certain species and that would be seriously bad. Keeping fish and corals, even rock for that matter which has been "born and raised" in captivity is a far better deal IMO. It just protects the ocean in it's natural state...

i see what youre saying but since i live right near the sea its way more available then to do it thru pet shops there are no pet shops here for that.. its egypt and very simple living. if i didnt take from the sea i wouldnt be able to have the hobby. and if you saw how the tourism is here the people just swimming at the beaches are destroying them and taking things from the sea and making it dirty from diving boats and all kinds of boats. but there are places that are pristine , untouched that no one bothers or takes from. ive been along the coast alot and ive seen piles of giant clam shells all over the place.. some "group" must be taking the clam meat or something i dont know. but i only take what i need and not abuse the natural resources.

i will research more about the temp thing and more.. he said only temporarily til the white spot is gone.

My Goldie had the same thing a few weeks back, Waterchanges is the answer, It is normally due to a build up of toxins in the water.
I did 50% immediatly and 50% the following week, and the Goldie was better within 2 weeks.
You need to sort it quickly or other infections can attack the brain via the eye.
Good luck

thanks for the input. the wrasse is doing much better by removing him from the tank and putting him in the hospital tank all by himself, relaxing. his eyes are almost normal and his color is much better. i think he is going to be ok. im just waiting to see him eat something.

now, the other tank.. i decided to tear it down.. i took the remaining fish(all butterflys and 3 striped damsel) and took them across to the beach and let them go in the reefs.. and from now on im gonna go for the smaller fish. and im adding live rock this time and gonna let it just cycle. thanks for the advice everyone

ps. those raccoon fish are adorable tho. :p i felt better letting them go back to the sea

OOOOHHH Poo that is the worst thing to do. Never ever let captive fish go in the Ocean as they pick up Cold and Flu viruses from Humans and can wipe out the locall fish.
Next time give them back to the shop or to someone else please.

they were wild caught fish trapped accidentally... not the sick wrasse.. i still have him. ppl on here said the butterflys were too big for my tanks and not happy so i let them go. theres no one to give em to.

Back
Top Bottom