King Triton's 1000L upgrade

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So this weekend I will be swapping my 4FT tank for a 6Ft tank :yeahdude: and I am in the process of making a 1000L of water, which I will need for this new system.

So there's a few questions I have about this move.

My current tank will need to be emptied out, so the live stock will be in black utility bins for about a day and night. while I get the new tank running, in this time, I will be using all the current substrate to add to my DSB and the new tank will be Hawaii black.

1.How do I transfer a DSB without losing the life thats currently housed in it?

2. Since the old substrate will add to my DSB and I am using all my live rock, will the use of a new substrate kick off a new cycle?

3. Is there any way to clean(kill) off GHA off the rocks without killing the bacteria housed in the rock.

4. finally, are there any fellow members near the Midrand area that can lend me water containers to make and store RO just till this Sunday? I have 10 25L containers to make RO at the moment. So i will need to make four lots of this. My issue is storing this water for the initial fill. I dont want to go out and buy all the containers as they will not be in use apart from the initial fill.

Thanks in advance MASA :thumbup:

do you have a trailer? i have a 2000L jojo you can use...

answers
1. you mean dsb from old sump to new sump? i dont recommend it
2. nope it wont start a new cycle per say, use seachem stability to help things
3. yes, put rock in bucket with tank water and use a nylon nail brush, best solution for short time etc
4. yip, got a large jojo, will need a trailer

Hey Dallas, why dont you reccomend moving the dsb to a new sump?

Im gonna get on it now to see if I can get a trailer. Thanks for offering to help :)

My offices are in Wynberg/ Sandton and i don't mind bringing the container to work for you to collect.

My offices are in Wynberg/ Sandton and i don't mind bringing the container to work for you to collect.

Hey Asheen,

Thanks bud. That will be a major help while I try to make a plan to get Dallas' jojo tank. Dont know anyone off hand with a trailer.

I work in woodmead, so its just around the corner from me. :thumbup:

i have a trailer, no license on it :p

i will confirm by thurs if my bro is using it, hope you have a towbar, also remind me if you dont hear back

i have a trailer, no license on it :p

i will confirm by thurs if my bro is using it, hope you have a towbar, also remind me if you dont hear back

thanks Dallas. Will do. You still using the same number?

yip, and same house :)

I'm in Centurion, Have 3*220L drums
Plus 2*250 utility bins

.How do I transfer a DSB without losing the life thats currently housed in it?
I've done that.
Remove old DSB in layers. In about 4cm layers. Scoop a layer out and put it in a old salt bucket. Then the next layer.

In the new DSB, add them in the order they used to be, bottom layer first, working back up to top layer. Do not let it stand overnight, rather do this part as quickly as possible.

If the new DSB is bigger than the old one, factor that in, you do not want to add the old display substrate as a extra layer on top. Rather add it in as needed into the other layers from the second upward.

Run the sump on its own overnight, with return pump going back to first chamber. So that all settlement can do their thing and you can siphon that out before starting up the tank.

will the use of a new substrate kick off a new cycle?
depends if it got dead organisms in it. Sterile clean substrate cannot cause a cycle.

I'm in Centurion, Have 3*220L drums
Plus 2*250 utility bins

Hey Riaan.. Perfect. With Asheens 200L drum as well it will be perfect. Will the 3 drums you have fit in a jetta 5? I can put my seats down or 2 in the boot and one on the back seat? If not will have to bug a friend with a bakkie.

I've done that.
Remove old DSB in layers. In about 4cm layers. Scoop a layer out and put it in a old salt bucket. Then the next layer.

In the new DSB, add them in the order they used to be, bottom layer first, working back up to top layer. Do not let it stand overnight, rather do this part as quickly as possible.

If the new DSB is bigger than the old one, factor that in, you do not want to add the old display substrate as a extra layer on top. Rather add it in as needed into the other layers from the second upward.

Run the sump on its own overnight, with return pump going back to first chamber. So that all settlement can do their thing and you can siphon that out before starting up the tank.

depends if it got dead organisms in it. Sterile clean substrate cannot cause a cycle.

The bottom section (of a well established DSB) is quite toxic if disturbed. I would be very carefull with this approach, but Riaan is the DSB guy, so i would trust his advice.

Just run lots of charcoal right after the DSB is running again to remove toxins

You can wash and rinse the old display substrate, and get a lot of trapped detritus out, but that could cause a cycle. Due to washing the sand with tapwater and final rinse with old tankwater, that would kill bacteria while busy. The gains due to detritus removed VS dead organisms, you must decide.

Anyway, the cycle will be quick. Due to organisms already in the old DSB, although disturbed, they will quickly repopulate. Even if you loose 50% bacteria, it is one cell split per remaining bacteria to be at full population density again.

Starting with only a few bacteria cells in the sand, they have to split a lot of times before it one day will get to 100%.

yip, here you can see the layered results from moving this DSB. The sand on the right is new playsand. On the left is you can see the layering effect more clearly.

And agree, if the sand when you remove it, smells like rotten eggs, rather be careful and use carbon. Or get other sand.

If aragonite, you can opt to wash it all out properly, and then put it back. Then it will cause a cycle. I've re-used aragonite DSB without issues after washing it out properly. But I did let it run for a week before having any livestock in the tank.

Thanks for all advice... really appreciate it... Keep it coming, the more I have the easier it will make it.

How long do you think it will need to run for before I can add my livestock in. I have only LPS and Softies at this time, with a carpet anenome. The fish i'm not too concerned about. they handle these kinda things much easier than corals.

no way... lol, no,
I can get one into the back of a Mazda6.

thanks for clearing that up. I will ask my friend with the bakkie to help. what time will you be available for me to collect Riaan?

And agree, if the sand when you remove it, smells like rotten eggs, rather be careful and use carbon. Or get other sand.

If aragonite, you can opt to wash it all out properly, and then put it back. Then it will cause a cycle. I've re-used aragonite DSB without issues after washing it out properly. But I did let it run for a week before having any livestock in the tank.

This is sound advice, rather wash and re-seed with a saved cup or two, else try some of the off-the-shelf bacterias

Back
Top Bottom