Juwel Rekord 600

vincentputter

I love Nayn cat!
Reaction score
Hi guys! I bought a Juwel Rekord 600 (63L) for some soft corals (NO FISH! I think It's too small for fish).

I know It's a bit under powered but I've added a 5000lph powerhead and some extra lighting (1 10w t8 white fluorescent 11000k + 1 10w t8 actinic blue ?) The tank comes standard with a 15w day time light. Do you guys think I should add more light?

I've added 10kg's of dry/dead Aragonite sand and NSW. I still need to add/buy live rock and a protein skimmer. I have some lovely base rock but I don't know If I should use It or not?

The tanks filter has 4 sponges (filter floss, carbon sponge, green sponge and a blue sponge). I want to get rid of the sponges and put something ells in It's place. Any advice on that one?

Last edited:
Hi Vincent.

I think that lighting should be enough for softies.
Just make sure you use descent tubes.

I would say get a few kgs of live rock at least, just to seed the dead rock.
I think you could keep the floss as long as you change it at least once or twice a week.
Maybe replace the sponges with some chemical filteration, like chemi-pure or purigen and phosgaurd.

Is it an internal fiter?
How about a pic?;)
What skimmer are you planning on getting?

I would say get a few kgs of live rock at least, just to seed the dead rock.
The base rock that I have is.... (Both Is synthetic rock)

1 dry/dead/base rock +- 10kg
1 live/base rock +- 5kg (This one has been in a dark sump for like 2 years)

Maybe replace the sponges with some chemical filteration, like chemi-pure or purigen and phosgaurd.
2 hours later..........

I have decided that I'm gona use purigen.

Is it an internal fiter?
Yes!

What skimmer are you planning on getting
Juwel skimmer 3.0 (It costs like R1900, But I like It and It would go nice inside the tank in the left hand corner of the tank)

How about a pic
I haven't uploaded the pics of my tank yet but here Is a pic of the tank. I will upload all my pic's tomorrow.

56724fc95feb9ee71.jpg
56724fc95feba6f34.jpg

Oh! BTW! It's like 3 'o clock In the morning and I'm going to bed. I'm starting to see thing that's not real.

Last edited:
Cool man.
I have never seen that skimmer so I can't comment on it, but I have exactly the same tank running as a fresh water tank.

I saw one of these Juwel all-in-one setups the other day. The tank looked a bit longer than the one in the pic posted, it had 2 24w t5s, stand, filter area and the skimmer built in so the collection cup can be removed through the top of the lid. Was a nice looking little setup, but all I could think about was cramming it full of some Cree leds. Would be a nice DIY project if you could pick up a second hand unit, bit pricey and neat to buy a new one and start gypoing it.

Hey guys! Here's the pic's I said I'm gona upload.

Day 1 (tanks standard 14W t8 day light)
56724fcb9b24e55a9.jpg

Day 3 (no lights)
56724fcb9e4d88bfa.jpg

Day 3 (tanks standard 14W t8 day light)
56724fcb9ece2a7b4.jpg

Day 3 (tanks standard 14W t8 day light + 10W t8 crystal white light)
56724fcb9f8d38e06.jpg

Day 3 (tanks standard 14W t8 day light + 10W t8 crystal white light + 10W t8 coral blue actinic)
56724fcba0dd19dfc.jpg

Day 3 (10W t8 coral blue actinic)
56724fcba13a98f5d.jpg

Tank is coming along nicely.:thumbup:
Wheres the Live rock?

Hi vincentputter i have exactully the same tank as you do i upgraded and made a over flow on the left corner and removed the internal filter because the filter floss and two spongers do not work for a marine tank if you are keen to keep this tank i would put a bag of Carbon and some PhosGard to reduce the phosphate and there is a Nice Tunze skimmer that you can buy called Tunze 9002

38974fcba49715e53.jpg

And i would change your lighting to this
Aquarium 24 LEDs Dimmable DIY LED kit with optics

well here's a pick of my beauty haha lots of mods

Hey guys! I have a small update. I have edited the one pic to show you what has happened in a week coz I'm not gonna take another pic 12 o' clock @ night, E-mail It to my pc and then re size the pic. It takes like 3 days to E-mail something from a galaxy tab.

56724fd511344df26.jpg

After a week
56724fd51134567d0.jpg

I don't know what the green stuff Is but It's not hair algae. It's much brighter and the lights are permanently off. I only switched the lights on to take the pic.

There Is a window but there is no direct or indirect light that is hitting the tank. I was googling It and It looks like green coralline algae. I don't know how there can be green when I haven't even had a diatom bloom yet. So odd!

Back
Top Bottom