Just been load shedded!

Aiishh been hit every day so far from last Thursday excluding Sunday. The 2 hr cuts aren't too bad, but the warning is out we are going to be cut twice a day. The total incompetence of this government is staggering, this is going to cripple the economy in a big way.
Our "government" did not allow them to build new power stations. The idiot apologized the other day and said that it was their fault. Eskom told them years ago that this would happen
Don't kid yourself here, i reckon this was done to stop companies suing Eskom, they now have to sue the government instead.......good luck!

hill its sooo expensive!! about R200 000 for a average household
hey dude don't want to power the whole house, just the tank and maybe the PC. :lol:

I heard a rumor that exdom is going to service the one nuke turbine sometime.. So expect another spanner in the works!! :p
For sure the Nuclear reactors need to be maintained and recharged. This takes time. Normally not a problem if the other generating plants are operational.

It is the way to go, start saving now costs about R20K all told. Works like a dream. Only draw back if the diesel hasn't been used within 6-8 weeks you have to replace. 100 litres at time is not cheap.

if it gets close to diesel replacement time we run the house on diesel regardless of power cuts or not.

I have set up the same at our business.
Why replace the diesel after 6 to eight weeks? Our standby generators at our radio sites go for between 6 and 18 months before refuelling. Never had or heard of any negative effects. Have you?

I also had a power cut yesterday.Power was supposed to be of from12hoo untill 14hoo. At 14hoo the power came on for 15seconds. At 19hoo I ran my return pump for about 15min on the computer ups. Then I borrowed a faulty gennie and could not get it to work in the dark. At 21h3o I spoke to escom call centre an was told they do not know what is the problem and also do not have an idea when the power will be back on. By 23hoo the power came on for 3 minutes and the chiller said the temp is at 27.6 degrees. Well the power came back on at 01h4o the next morning.
I think this is criminal, the new big shots that was issued with high jobs because of previous injustices are quick to accuse but very quiet when answers must be given.
I know this has a bit of political sounding stuff in it, and apologize if I am offending anyone but how else can we say it?
Give me the right advice and I will say it in the correct way and apologize in public.
AGAIN THIS WAS NOT SAID WITH THE INTENTION TO GAIN ANY POLITICAL POINTS OR CREDITS

You need to apologize for nothing. Eskom is suppose to offer a service that we all pay for (except Zim). Image any other company or service provider getting away with this shocking (excuse the pun) service.

It is criminal and all the big shots blame some other institution or government department. Most of RSA is run like this :(

hey dude don't want to power the whole house, just the tank and maybe the PC. :lol:

For sure the Nuclear reactors need to be maintained and recharged. This takes time. Normally not a problem if the other generating plants are operational.

Why replace the diesel after 6 to eight weeks? Our standby generators at our radio sites go for between 6 and 18 months before refuelling. Never had or heard of any negative effects. Have you?

The Briggs and Stratton guys said something about effecting the generator's start up system because diesel starts "separating" if left unmixed or still.

Don't kid yourself here, i reckon this was done to stop companies suing Eskom, they now have to sue the government instead.......good luck!

I disagree. It was common knowledge within the company itself, about 5 years ago, that government wanted to sell off generating capacity to 3rd parties. Remember the time Telkom was semi privatised. Eskom was supposed to follow suit. Generating capacity was also supposed to be "sold" to overseas investors. And then parts of the USA started experiencing similar problems to us. Possible investors became sceptical.

Somewhere along the lines, government slipped up with the intended privatisation or maybe no one want to try compete with Eskom or both. Remember we used to have one of the cheapest electricity rates in the world, who in their right mind would want to come into the country and build a multi billion rand generating station and then battle to sell electricity.

Eskom must be the hottest topic on any SA board at the moment. The real sad part of this entire story is in any other place a government like this would never be re-elected except in Africa.

Aiishh been hit every day so far from last Thursday excluding Sunday. The 2 hr cuts aren't too bad, but the warning is out we are going to be cut twice a day. The total incompetence of this government is staggering, this is going to cripple the economy in a big way.

One of Mondi Paper's mills consume more electricity than the entire residential grid of a small town IE: PMB. over the same period, and sue to contracts are immune to power cuts

We also keep our diesel in 2200L tanks outside for extended periods. But the plants have a water trap and two fuel filters in series just before the fuel enters the plant.

The only problems we have with fuel are at the highest sites where the fuel freezes and needs additives to keep it "thin". As for the plants, they are all kept warm and ready to run with heaters permanently.

Just another addition to the "load shedding woes"..... Sometime during the night last night (or very early morning hours) Eskom "load shedded" Parklands and Table View again. It seems that this whole load-shedding thing is getting completely out of hand.
In December it was not so bad, but NOW all the crap has to start? Probably because they are back at work - the buggers.

That said - I am so glad for my 12V pump/power-head. I connected it to my return from my sump this morning (in the dark, that is :) and voila - it's working like a charm. It's not the strongest of pumps (1375 litres per hour), but at least it seems to be working wonderfully on my battery pack. AND it is low power (I think it uses 20 watts or something ridiculous), so my battery pack should last quite a while.

The air-compressor I used to use used up a LOT of power - and it lasted about 2 hours on the battery pack.....

Heard this on East Coast this morning.

Satan visits Cape Town and meets Gatiep.
"Do you know who I am?"
"Nay", says Gatiep, "gee my a hint"
Satan says, "I am the prince of darkness"
"Fork it" says Gatiep, "djy's mos die CEO van Eskom"

yes you may have read it some where else , but it was on the radio so I now can use it.

Heard this on East Coast this morning.

Satan visits Cape Town and meets Gatiep.
"Do you know who I am?"
"Nay", says Gatiep, "gee my a hint"
Satan says, "I am the prince of darkness"
"Fork it" says Gatiep, "djy's mos die CEO van Eskom"

yes you may have read it some where else , but it was on the radio so I now can use it.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry guys, if this wasn't so serious, it would be a bloody joke, i'm honestly stunned at the level of incompetance, the gov't has shown over this fiasco, and by the look of it, it won't be any better soon:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I hope you guys can get Gennies etc to keep your houses, let alone your fish tanks sorted out.

Crazy shit. Maybe you pomps should invade and liberate us, HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!

Sorry I thought that was a term of endearment ???

You Know us colonists, never keep in touch with the motherland :lol::lol:

Hey Wee-Man - I agree - perhaps you should start a movement over there to get the UK government to invade SA - tell them we have a LOT of oil ;-) Then perhaps we can get new-age wind-mills built to generate electricity :thumbup: :biggrin:

Sorry I thought that was a term of endearment ???

You Know us colonists, never keep in touch with the motherland :lol::lol:

Actually it is a derogatory term for a newly arrived prisoner into the Australian prison (in days of old) pom comes from pomegranite - bright red skin, just like the new inmate.;)

It is not therefore a correct term of an Englishman, the correct term is, of course, Sir.

Back
Top Bottom