Jewel Conversion

Reaction score
Hi I have been here for a while but never had the opportunity to start a marine tank only had fresh water tanks. I now have that chance but iI need to convert a jewel tank. Can anybody help me?

I have a Jewel Rio 180, Standerd lights, Standerd filter, heater. What do i need to do to change it to a fish only tank?

Kind regards
Steve

Last edited:
Hi Steve, what do you mean by a "Standard filter", I've never seen a Jewel 180 so forgive my ignorance. Is it a canister filter or hang-on-back filter?

Are you going to have a fish only tank or are you going to have live rock as well?

Whatever you decide, please do research the types of fish you want before you buy them and add them to the tank, you need to be aware of things like minimum aquarium size (some fish grow very big), feeding requirements, habitat (does it live in sand, like some wrasse do), compatibility (some fish are very aggressive, both with their own kind and/or other fish).

You will need an additional pump or two inside the tank to provide water movement, as in the ocean there is big water movement all the time with things like waves, swells and currents, unlike most fresh water fish that do not need pumps inside the tank.

If you have a 4" deep sand bed and live rock then that should deal with most of the filtration needed, but if you're going to stock the tank with a lot of fish then you may need to look at getting a protein skimmer some time down the line to assist in keeping the water clean.

Let us know what you've got in mind and we can help you out with better more direct info.

So to sum up, depending on the filter you have, what you will need initially are two additional pumps/powerheads for inside the tank and some sand and saltwater (both of which you can get from a clean beach at the Bluff).

...is this your Tank..? Sorry using phone and not doing a good job of it..:)
The Juwel Rio’s feature a corner filter which will come with all the sponge media that you need to get up and running. In the same filter box you will also be able to located the 200W heater that you are given aswell. this keeps everything looking tidy. You get a 600 LPH pump for use with the filter and two pieces of pipe, to use as an exhaust style arrangement to direct the external flow. This is best pointed up so that there’s a good gas exchange, as it doesnt push the water that far sideways. The heater is silver and is pretty good but it has no temperature markings on the side so this is trial and error.
If you have an external filter then you can remove the Juwel filter box with a bit of work, its best doing this before its full of water, although it can be done with water in.
Lighting is provided by Juwels own High-Lite light unit including tubes 100cm, 2 x 45 watt. The High-Lite unit sits in the middle of the aquarium with to detachable flaps either side. One also has a slot for the Juwel Automatic Feeder. If your using this for Marine fish then the flaps will get salt creep on them so cleaning regularly will keep them looking tidy.
The cabinet has a bit in the middle for displaying stuff or keeping your food to hand. behind the doors are locations ideal for locating power extensions or external filters.
Juwel Rio 180 Aquarium | Fish Tanks

$$A_2D48AEB5_180$20$E8rna.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Steve, what do you mean by a "Standard filter", I've never seen a Jewel 180 so forgive my ignorance. Is it a canister filter or hang-on-back filter?

Are you going to have a fish only tank or are you going to have live rock as well?

Whatever you decide, please do research the types of fish you want before you buy them and add them to the tank, you need to be aware of things like minimum aquarium size (some fish grow very big), feeding requirements, habitat (does it live in sand, like some wrasse do), compatibility (some fish are very aggressive, both with their own kind and/or other fish).

You will need an additional pump or two inside the tank to provide water movement, as in the ocean there is big water movement all the time with things like waves, swells and currents, unlike most fresh water fish that do not need pumps inside the tank.

If you have a 4" deep sand bed and live rock then that should deal with most of the filtration needed, but if you're going to stock the tank with a lot of fish then you may need to look at getting a protein skimmer some time down the line to assist in keeping the water clean.

Let us know what you've got in mind and we can help you out with better more direct info.

So to sum up, depending on the filter you have, what you will need initially are two additional pumps/powerheads for inside the tank and some sand and saltwater (both of which you can get from a clean beach at the Bluff).

Hi Viper. The filter is a internal cannister filter that is both mechanical and biological filtration. I want to have a fish only tank and then at a later stage go for a live rock tank. What i am wanting to know is the lighting and filter that the tank comes standard with will be enough for a fish only tank.

...is this your Tank..? Sorry using phone and not doing a good job of it..:)

Juwel Rio 180 Aquarium | Fish Tanks

$$A_2D48AEB5_180$20$E8rna.jpg

Hi belindamotion. Yes that is the same tank.

Attachments

• FiltersysCompact.pdf
    102.6 KB · Views: 161
What i am wanting to know is the lighting and filter that the tank comes standard with will be enough for a fish only tank.
Yes, lighting is not an issue with fish. With regards to the filter, also yes but I would recommend replacing all sponges before adding salt water and then read their instructions on how to maintain their filter system with regards to cleaning and replacing the sponges, especially during the initial bacteria development stage. But don't add fish to cycle a marine tank. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom