Is this what I think it is?

Reaction score
I noticed my benggaii was "hiding" a lot today. I just fed the tank and found this... I am almost 100 % sure it is her eggs! I thought I had a male!!! Shows you how wrong one can be!! Thought I'd share this with you guys. If someone else can just confirm it as well it would be great!

DSCN0465_zpsd8f2f81c.jpg

They don't lay eggs, the female releases them and they males swallows them holding them in his mouth until they hatch and grow to a certain size. Then he release them.

I don't have a male, so what else can the females do with the eggs? These eggs look the same as ones I saw a female on youtube pushed out

@Helga also had a female banggai cardinal that laid eggs as she didnt have a male...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but i cant see anything in the picture that looks like eggs...

Ok, i see...
Could be.
Perhaps @Helga can give some input here as i know hers did the same...

You defenitely have a female. Their eggs are salmon colour and shiny round little balls. In the absence of a male, the female will lay her eggs against any surface and guard it fiercely against other fish. You will find that after a few hours she will lose the battle and they are eaten by other fish.

Bangai's are borne either male of female. The female lays her eggs in a clutch. While she's releasing the eggs the male takes it into his mouth (pouch) where he aerates it for more or less 20 days before replicas of the mature fish are released.

Yuvenile Bangai's will get along until they mature, whereafter fighting will start between 2 males. Females are slightly more forgiving and in bigger tanks could manage to get along.

Thanks for your advice @Helga, i knew you would give some great advice as always!

Back
Top Bottom