Is Ro waste water safe to drink

Guys, are we not getting confused between distilled water and RO water here, @the waterboy-marco can add his expertise here?

Ok, so what do you use R/O water for then other than for fish tanks?
We have an R/O unit under the sink in the kitchen with its own little tap and also plumbed it to the fridge for ice and drinking water.

Surely the guys at the water purification shops won't sell you something to purify the water making it un drinkable?

Ok, so what do you use R/O water for then other than for fish tanks?
We have an R/O unit under the sink in the kitchen with its own little tap and also plumbed it to the fridge for ice and drinking water.

Surely the guys at the water purification shops won't sell you something to purify the water making it un drinkable?

RO Drinking units don't have any resin, the ones for the tank do, the RO units with resin, some guys can get real sick because of amines:

Amine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have been drinking tds 0 water for about 2 years now. Im still alive lol

do you drink only ro or do you drink onther stuff inbetween or ad coffy tea or juice to it?

Coke, coffee, beer, whiskey, stuff like that.
R/O unti we have runs to the fridge.
So all our ice and fridge water is from the unit. :whistling:

if you only use it for your ice and the odd drink it is fine if you only drink ro and in large volumes you are looking for trouble. if you mix it with tea coffy wiski you are increasing the tds and making it fit for consumption again

R.O water is safe to drink without running a Di resin filter. I have one at my parents home for 10 years and whole family soley drink from the ro unit. I took tds readings this weekend and was reading 14. By using a di resin filter one gets a lower tds reading close to 0. I see many people dont use tds meters and think they water safe for there tank. I would let my tds go up to 5 before changing filters. Many bottled water is ro filtered water and many places sell ro filtered water so its 100% safe to drink better than tap water. I would not all drink waste water from the ro unit as those tds readings over 1000.

RO waste water= The best ever water to water your garden with
If you really want to be "anal" about it you should drink neither RO nor the waste water, each having there different reasons for this

R.O water is safe to drink without running a Di resin filter. I have one at my parents home for 10 years and whole family soley drink from the ro unit. I took tds readings this weekend and was reading 14. By using a di resin filter one gets a lower tds reading close to 0. I see many people dont use tds meters and think they water safe for there tank. I would let my tds go up to 5 before changing filters. Many bottled water is ro filtered water and many places sell ro filtered water so its 100% safe to drink better than tap water. I would not all drink waste water from the ro unit as those tds readings over 1000.
The RO water you buy to drink has had minerals put back into it, so it is very different to the RO the comes out of a hobby grade RO machine

Any of you guys have any experience with the D&D Aquarium solutions R/O units?
Bought one last month and for the life of me, I cannot get the waste water to stop flowing once the pure water float switch in engaged.....

Please post a pic of your installation.

Not too worry.
Emailed Stuart at D&D Aquarium solutions.
The R/O unit is missing a few parts to make it automated and this is how they sell them.
You basically need an Auto Shut Off valve like this.
37074ff32f7c106d4.jpg

And a check valve like this
37074ff32f7c1aeb0.jpg

To make it work like the domestic R/O units.;)

I do not like those valves because they shorten the life of your RO membrane if automated into a ATO.
Cool if you use it to "BATCH" make your RO water.

Just checking, but you say waste water is high. Did you flush the carbon block before connecting to the RO membrane. If not, the residual carbon dust blocks the RO membrane causing high waste. Also check that you have the restrictor valve in the closed position else you have it in the flush position and you will have a very high waste production with little RO production.

Last edited:
Do have a problem with R/O production or waste water as long as it is running.
Thing I don't like about this unit is that the waste keeps on running after you close the tap on the pure water.
Hence the extras to make it more user friendly.

OK.
Let me explain with some pictures.
This is the D&D R/O Unit I got from one of the LFS guys.
It is mounted outside by my swimming pool area some 45m away from the tank build I'm currently busy with.

Yes, I know it needs to be covered, busy with that at the moment.
37074ff3425a24dc7.jpg

These guys are the "taps" / float valves that will be sitting inside the house for my R/O top-up, water change tanks and stuff.
They are little float valves that work like the ones you find inside a toilet.
No magnets, 12v DC with a pump or anything like that.
Just water and air pressure, so basically nothing can go wrong with these little units.
37074ff3425a2981f.jpg

The idea is to keep the tap open on the R/O unit outside the house and let it fill what it needs to inside the house automatically.
When the container is full and the float valve is closed it cuts off the pure water supply, effectively closing a tap on the pure water supply.

Normal household R/O units work in a similar way and cuts off the waste water once the pure water stops flowing.
My question was:
How to get the one supplied by D&D to work in the same manner as I don't see the point of trekking out each day to open and close a tap when it can be done via automation....

Back
Top Bottom