Is Durbans NSW safe now?

Mekaeel

Reaction score
howzit guys.
after the incident at Durban harbour,is our water clean and safe to use again?
maybe Kevin can help out here.

Personally I would not collect from the Durban area. Especially with all the dredging going on. I would go down the coast or quite far up to get clean water.

AS far as I know uShaka did not have any problems with the water they use for the aquarium. So - who gets their water from uShaka? Anyone?

Take into account by the time that you get the water, it would most likely be filtered already at least - and most impurities and crap removed that could cause problems with your corals/fish...

AS far as I know uShaka did not have any problems with the water they use for the aquarium. So - who gets their water from uShaka? Anyone?

Take into account by the time that you get the water, it would most likely be filtered already at least - and most impurities and crap removed that could cause problems with your corals/fish...
you right,maybe check up with Ushaka.anyone currently using the Ushaka water?

The way I read the articles and heard the news, this problem was only confined to Durban harbour.... So, if I can make a presumption, then anywhere further than 200 metres away from Durban harbour should be quite safe....

The way I read the articles and heard the news, this problem was only confined to Durban harbour.... So, if I can make a presumption, then anywhere further than 200 metres away from Durban harbour should be quite safe....

Sorry to interject here again ! Ushaka gets their water from the Vechies pier area. North pier is being torn apart, dredgers are going 24/7 and the water is KAK. Even if they are filtering their water I still (this is entirely my opinion) would not take it. I would rather get salt and RO water and mix. Why skimp on water when your tank is going so well. The harbour was polluted and lots of things died. With the water coming out of the harbour it will get diluted when it hits the open seas. BUT what is in that water ? Once again I would not take the chance.

Last edited:
Hi there,
I have been monitoring the water quality in and around the port specifically because of the dredging. What I have found is that there is no problem at all with the chemical quality of the water. All that you need to watch for is the suspended sediments and all you need to do to deal with that is let these settle out before you add the water to your system. Since starting my monitoring programme I have actually started collecting water for my system from the entrance channel and have had no problems at all.

Last edited:
what is the namf the dredger that is working in durban at the moment is it ingwenja because it is the rihardsbay dredger

so here's a question from the newbie - I'm up in PMB and have always used synthetic - is there any benefit to me occasionally taking a drive to Durban and filling some drums and adding it to my tank. Will it help in any way or is it a waste of time to mix both NSW and synthetic? I have an RO unit so that is not an issue but I was wondering if its worth occasionally putting in NSW?

Back
Top Bottom