Urgent help needed Injured starfish

Keanan

2time
Reaction score
Hi guys

Please help, I checked on my tank this morning after feeding and noticed something flowing from my starfish. At first I thought it was flakes that was stuck to it, but when I had a closer look I saw it is a piece of flesh that is hanging on/out of the starfish.

It is a deep sea star(Fromia sp.)

28874da6ce8e1fd89.jpg

28874da6ceab88b50.jpg

Could it be that one of the fish bit it? The fish i have, a cream angel, a scopas tang, a bicolor blenny and a clownfish as well as hermits and snails but I doubt it could of been the hermits or the snails, because it was on the glass when I saw it. And I have never seen any fish go near it. Or what could it be?

Thanks
Keanan

Last edited:
Anyone? This is really urgent as I'm off to my dad in the next 30mins for the weekend.

Anything I can do/use to treat it?

Last edited:
Hi butcherman, can i use any iodine or is there maybe a specific one? And how would I do it.

As far as I know starfish are super resilient creatures and will probably be OK as long as whoever bit him doesn't do it again. But lets wait for the experts

As far as I know starfish are super resilient creatures and
Agreed i almost threw a bristle star away into a bin cos it was in zero O2 water and spent the night out in the Freezing cold in winter. still alive till today

Cool. Im getting cape coral care super iodine and going to give it a dip just in case.

If a starfish loses a leg it grows back. If that is not some kind of parasitic "thing" I would just leave it. It might fall off after the wound healed, like a protective crust of some sort :p

My mom already gave it a dip in Cape Coral Care super iodine for about 30s. I hope that wont hurt it anymore?

Update on star

So after the iodine dip the piece of flesh fell off leaving a wound. So gave it another dip yesterday and I'm happy to say that he is recovering now, the wound is healing and its almost like it wasn't there.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom