Importing & bringing corals back from US etc

It was more of a brine - shrimp encampment system. Once the brine was in the holder they could not get out but the sea-horses could sit next to the feeder and suck them out. Worked like a charm but as people started looking for Sea-horses which don't eat live food the device I believe was discontinued

It was more of a brine - shrimp encampment system. Once the brine was in the holder they could not get out but the sea-horses could sit next to the feeder and suck them out. Worked like a charm but as people started looking for Sea-horses which don't eat live food the device I believe was discontinued

Brine shrimp direct made / makes them...I mailed them but no reply yet :p, they must be in cape town

Be careful of using something like this for seahorse fry. There is a lot of bacteria that comes with artemia. It needs to be rinsed really good before being fed to the SH fry. Then there is the enrichment issue. If the artemia is allowed to sit in this device too long it will be useless to the fry when they eat it.

Why would you ask someone to get involved in illegal activity?
It's not illegal to bring in live fish & I'm not putting anyone at risk. who knows there could just be a bit of water with LR but not telling what the contents is that's all. so please everybody chill.

Be careful of using something like this for seahorse fry. There is a lot of bacteria that comes with artemia. It needs to be rinsed really good before being fed to the SH fry. Then there is the enrichment issue. If the artemia is allowed to sit in this device too long it will be useless to the fry when they eat it.

Good point Brenda, I was actually more interested in the design (asked them for a pic)

Recently I've neen in Lisbon Portugal. And did had the change to visit one of their LFS. Nothing spectacular, mostly same stuff we have.

Except a nice dark blue mushroom colony. Now that looked nice.
Will it be illegal for me to buy it there from the LFS who imported it legally to Portugal?

Only issue I can see is that I cannot bring it with me in my handheld luggage as you can only have 100ml max liquids. If I put it in a wide mouth plastic container in my suitcase. Only other 2 problems is that it might end upside down with the rock ontop of the mushroom. And the temperature might drop.

If I did buy it, will there be any issues with that?

Guys i own 2 import companies and you need a whole stack of paper work just for dry goods. First of you need to be registered for tax, then you have to get an importers code. Then you will need the various permits from Dep Agri for live stock as well as any of the CITIES permits if its listed on there. Then you need to appoint a clearing agent that will deal with your freight. Not many clearing agents are registered to deal with live stock. Remember you have to pay 14% vat on import as well as any duties due.

UPS/FEDEX/DHL Express is NOT an option. I had to get urgent samples sent to me from the USA last week. It left Miami on Tuesday morning, arrived in SA on Friday and sat in customs (we pre-cleared it) till Monday morning. 6 days is not bad turn around for express freight but any livestock WILL die.

I am with Frans – this thread lists illegal ways to get stuff into the country and it should either be locked or moderated.

Back
Top Bottom