Import duties on marine livestock???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Sup all

I would like to know if anyone can assist me?

I would like to know what the import duties are when importing fish. Im looking to import things that most pet stores dont like to take the risk of importing.

If you not sure can you please provide me with a contact number of who i would need to get in contact with.

Also does anyone know how long it takes to get a box of fish from say Indonesia to South Africa?

Hi there, The import duty is the going to be the least of a concern, getting the permit is the bigger challenge. My advice would be to place your order with a LFS

Well most wont ship a sinlge box, lucky if you find a place, but u looking at about 4-6k a box
Need a sars clearnce cert, cc, permits from daff and time.
U are better off asking a lfs to get for u on a shipment, most will

I would like to give it ago. I flew over to Indonesia recently and found a supplier. Pricing really good. I would just like to see if it is viable. I just need to know the steps from when it reaches South Africa. Everything is sorted from Indonesia!

Daff its in my post

Good luck

The fish will cost u 10x more then u think
Cargo cost
Cert of health
Packing
Etc
And u need to buy a whole box worth
What are u looking for that u cant get here

Its actually for me and a bunch of friends. We have placed a sample order at the moment to get cost and it worked out to about R 15 900 for 350 fish, inverts and coral. Thats all cost before it lands in South Africa.

But what fish? I have seen most orth keeping here in SA

You will need cities permits as well, and being in ct, cities office in pta, could be a while

Ive got time. Im just doing some research for now. It will be angelfish, clowns, damsels, tangs etc. All the norm. I heard about the cites permits. Im busy with that now.

Plan carefully, make sure u get a flight direct to CT, most stop in jhb and have a delay so your fish will be in transit for over 24 hrs i am sure

Also make sure your tanks are in pristine condition because a huge bioload will impact the tank.
Also i wouldnt add them to your main tanks, i would QT them in holding tanks making sure they eat, and dont die from shock etc
Good luck u going to need a pretty big temp system to make sure u dont have many loses

Last edited:
I have done this many times, not as easy as it looks

So far ive got 9 tanks with 3 sumps. The tanks are 90x30x30 in size. Im gonna take my time. I know its gonna be difficult.

Nope, but i would dose special blend the day before and use that with nite-out II for maintenance, also with a huge load of fish get good skimmers and NH4 blockers like microbelifts one or seachem prime

What would the costs be for example if i can ask? I will definitely do that. Its nothing certain yet. I still got a lot to learn about keeping bulk fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom