If only I had all the answers

Reaction score
Hi all
So I would like to make a comeback into the hobby, ok not comeback as I've been looking after my Lighting for my 12G nano cube - Marine Aquariums South Africa all this time. Very basic setup, did not do to much only the water changes and odd supplement doses to maintain it. Last month my 6yr old tomato clown just went down to the sand, laid on its side and stopped breathing. He was part of the family as I got him when my son was born. I would like to think he passed onfrom a broken heart(he was alone in the tank as he was very territorial) and old age. I then gave all softies, rock and sand to family member to start their own tank but kept my empty 12g nano.

My empty nano looks at me everyday, I even try to avoid looking at it but it just keeps popping into my line of sight. I even moved it out the house to the garage but it still pops up. This only meant one thing, time to start a new chapter.

Now the problems and questions start!
I wanted something like a nano design but something a bit bigger. Started looking around and found a boyu TL 550 on gumtree(some might have seen the add). It had the stand, the tank ad it was plumbed to add a sump. The guy had a brand new sump that went with it. He was a bit far from me so I only had the pics to go with. Did the impulsive thing and bought the unit. Guy delivered and the stand is swollen and the tank has some good scratches on it. Cleaned it and filled it with water, lights working, tank is fine, scratches are not so bad with water in it but now I am at a point of what now :m87: I am not sure I am 100% happy with the tank. Do I keep it and proceed, must I buy a other tl550 which is in better shape(made an offer to one of the reefers on MASA for one last night)
So confused :m85:

Maybe I should just start the nano up again lol

image.jpg

Hi, why not run it for a few months and go from there until you get back into it

You can replace the stand.

somebody who is in the kitchen business, build himself a new white stand. Cannot remember his username. But it came out very nice.
Or
a steel frame, see what this lad has done
Gandalf TL550 - Marine Aquariums South Africa

So the sump is 40high x 40L x 30w with no dividers in it as yet.
Any suggestions as to how I should do the spacing and dividers
The overflow will be on the right with return being on the left side of sump.
Need place for skimmer- no clue as to what I am going to get- any ideas?
Return pump- no sure on size or flowrate -any ideas?
Heater needs to go in.
Was thinking of trying an algae scrubber- what's ur guys input.
DSB- Refugium? Not sure what's the latest happenings on this. DSB will def be out as I don't have a large enough area to make it work.

Once the sump and hardware is sorted I will move to external ATO.
Then onto lighting. (Shew, I have a lot to learn there)

Back
Top Bottom