Identifying Live Rock

OK. I saw in the other thread that you planning on using NSW. I wouldnt put Muizenburg water anywhere near my tank. Considering the proximity of the sewage plant and the prevailing currents, that water will moist likely casue more issues than its worth.

OK. I saw in the other thread that you planning on using NSW. I wouldnt put Muizenburg water anywhere near my tank. Considering the proximity of the sewage plant and the prevailing currents, that water will moist likely casue more issues than its worth.

collect some clean water from an area maybe slightly further than then the sewerage disposal.... seawater coupled with the rock and a pump would be much better if you hoping to keep anything alive in the rock than r o water or tap water without salt!

Only use tap water or r o water if you are sure you want to kill anything in that rock including spores of things like caulerpa and eggs of usefull sponges etc etc....

I Have Marine Salt, As i keep Brakish Tanks.
Just Dont Have RO Water.
Im just going to find a Place selling RO water

I Have Marine Salt, As i keep Brakish Tanks.
Just Dont Have RO Water.
Im just going to find a Place selling RO water

use the tap water for now you'll be fine i kept tanks for years using tap water only got an r o unit now as its safer but tap water is fine to cycle those rocks in:thumbup:

Last edited:
No tap water is not fine. It contains heavy metals that will bind to the ca in the rock. And as 459b says will cause you issues. My bet is that it is not live anymore anyway. Best is to dry the rock out and prepare a proper cycle setup with good quality water.

What is the hurry? Take your time and plan properly.

As a little tip do not get irritated. Be patient.:thumbup:

lol Thanks Nemo...

Im just going to go and buy RO unit today lol..
and just start off the tank properly..

Stressing myself out over a stupid thing anyway

Thanks all

You won't regret it Xereo. Doing things properly the first time round will save you a lot in the long term. Congrats on a good buy for the fiji!

No tap water is not fine. It contains heavy metals that will bind to the ca in the rock. And as 459b says will cause you issues. My bet is that it is not live anymore anyway. Best is to dry the rock out and prepare a proper cycle setup with good quality water.

What is the hurry? Take your time and plan properly.

As a little tip do not get irritated. Be patient.:thumbup:

Tap water can be nasty but usually is not hence i suggested it once of and if you concerned about metals then use some sera aquatan to bind it from the tap water.

but i agree it already sounds like most stuff is dead....with spores you never know though they can last for months without being affected.

i would still advise not killing of everything from the rock or drying it out for that matter!unless ofcourse you enjoy sterile type of tank lol

Last edited:
lol Thanks Nemo...

Im just going to go and buy RO unit today lol..
and just start off the tank properly..

Stressing myself out over a stupid thing anyway

Thanks all

go for it,get the thing running,mix the salt and chuck the water in and start your cycle buddy.;)

Last edited:
lol Thanks Falcon

Just went a Got a Aquamedic 90 RO
should be good enough for my tank
Cost 1k but oh well Beats the stress

take your time, plan things properly. Run it by us and you will save yourself lots of cash and pain

For all the People Following on this Thread..
Here is The LR i got :)

smells better after a wash with SAlt Water :)
Maybe it wasnt all that bad.

here is a pic :)

45154d5c0f7335667.jpg

Back
Top Bottom