ID this for me please

@irie ivan, your thoughts oh great reef guru, I am lost for answers here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am no fish expert, but logic dictates that you have just had a hugely stressfull incident in your tank, effects are bound to be collateral (sp?)!
Besides the macrolife taking a serious culling, believe me your microbiota will have all taken a severe knock. Have you checked for ammonia and nitrite? As @RiaanP mentioned on ur other thread, 12 hours of Current running through a soup containing every known element.... The science gets way to complicating for a peabrain like me to dare think about... The parameters we measure are just the tip of the iceberg.
You are sitting in a catch 22 here:
Reaching and maintaining parameter stability is paramount but at the same time you gotta get things back on track... Really a tough one... Good move on the water changes, but not too big too often. Also, a good quality carbon would help. Awesome move on the addition of stabiliy to get the microbiota back on track..
The important thing is to not panick and start taking drastic action and just as important is to not throw in the towel..
Regarding the elevated po4, dont go add a litre if gfh now and strip it out, its a good thing its there... Wait for things to stabilise and then slowly bring it down.
The reality is you are likely going to lose another fish or more.. I really hope you dont..
With carefull TLC your tank will recover, in a few years this will be put down to school fees..

yip,
there was so many chemical reactions. And then all the micro bristle stars and copepods died with your cleaner shrimps. So yes, tank parameters will be stuffed. Dead stuff will cause a cycle, plus then all the unknown chemical reactions on top of that.

Best is frequent water changes. 10% and i can almost say twice a day would even be better. For at least the rest of this week.

Good luck on your road to recovery.

I really appreciate everyones help over the past few days it has not been easy as it is seeing all your hard work and devotion go down the drain. @carlosedeandrade you have been so much help and i can not thank you enough as well as everyone els who has given othe input to help me through this tough situation @RiaanP @irie ivan. i have been doing as i am told and hope to see things get back on track. one thing is for deffinate and that is that i will learn a very hard lesson from my mistake. i can only look forward from here and rebuild things better then before. i will keep everone posted on how things go and if i need anymore help i will be sure enough to come to you guys as you have been alot of help and i can not thank you enough

Your problem is that when the the power cord was in the water it produced electrolysis causing Sodium hypochlorite to be produced.

Sodium hypochlorite is a bleach and is disinfecting your tank.

What needs to be understood here is that the bleach has killed off your filtration bacteria as well as the live stock. To fix is a tough call.

The bleach has gotten into the rocks and substrate and will have to be removed.

Two ways to do this

If all the corals and fish are dead. Remove all the rocks and substrate and rinse under running water. Then let them soak in a bucket of RO with dechlorinator that also removes chloramine such as "AQUA+PLUS" for a few days. The salt water in the tank will also have to be replaced.

If you still have live fish and none of them have gone blind. The other way is to do large water changes and add a dechlorinator that removes chloramine. Also filter with a GAC. If you go this route, it could be some time (6 months or so) before corals will live in your tank. This is what we have found over the years.

Last edited:
I like the new avatar @Nemos Janitor! I just wanted to get a little clarity on your last post. In my science understanding is that NaOH (sodium hydroxide) is a base and should therefor increase my PH level? If this is so I have been adding a declorinator (Prime) because in a simple term the current has created a salt water corinator creating chlorine. Thanks just want to make sure my understanding is correct. I have been monitoring my PH has been constant 8.5 if it is the prime disguising the chlorine level would it be safe to not dose and see if it does change?

Is there any white spot in the tank, as the shock in parameters and cable could have caused stress on fish and white spot might be the cause and not parameters?

Hey there doesn't seem to be any white spot infection (thank goodness) I was also thinking that if there was copper introduced into the water from the current it killed off all my corals and invertabrits as well as parasites like white spot? Although there are no traces of copper in my tank

Awesom advice from the Janitor.

How are you dosing as it has a heavy punch and can be deadly to livestock if over dosed, when did you start dosing? How much you dosing daily?

Back
Top Bottom