ID the Anemone please

FDB

Reaction score
Hi all.
I see my live rock has a "big" (1.2cm diameter) Anemone and a few very small ones (3mm diameter).
What kind are they?
Are they good to keep?

23834adff83540cf6.jpg

23834adff8472448d.jpg

The top one looks like a type of Jewel or Beadlet or possibly Majano anemone. No idea on the bottom ones.

"Bottom one looks like some form of clove polyp - there seems to be a mat underneath it?"
No no.
The bottom ones are extremely small. (THis is a macro photo)
The "mat" is sand cranuals.

no i am fairly sure the "mat" in question is the slightly purple area at the base of each pollop, not the substrate in the background.

i think mnd may be close with this though.....does the shape change much with the lights on and is the collony expanding (more individual units)?? if so then i would doubt its any form of nennie but rather a hitchiking soft corral

Learned a new term... Mat...
Thanx.
:)

"does the shape change much with the lights on and is the collony expanding (more individual units)?? "
I dunno.
It's on a brand new live rock. I will monitor it and let you guys know.

Thanx.
I do some model photography and teh wife is a pro tog.

I fed the anemone late yesterday afternoon. It ate like a pig. Got nice and fat.
When my lights went out, i took a torch to go check what you guys asked.
The Anemone as you can see in the picture is usually only 1 to 1.5cm long. But after lights out, it was 3-3.5cm long... (Looked quite awesome.)

I then looked at the small group of anemonies (Bottom picture)
It seems that the purple mats had little bumps on them, and that those bumps are even more baby anemonies so it looks like i have a baby colony.

Then i noticed tho other things.... (Did not take photos)
First, i saw two very small anemonies that look like these:
23834ae13a519329c.jpg

What are they???

Then, secondly, the stangest thing...
It looks like a big spider made a woven nest next to my rock going into the sand. I can see what looks like an exit hole about 3mm in diameter in that white mesh stuff.
It's almost like those sac spiders make? not a typical spiderweb, more a cocoon type of environment.
I can lift the liverock to see what is happening, but i don't want to do that.
I also do not see my cucumber anywhere anymore.......

Actually come to think about it.. The web cocoon thing is right inder the baby colony.
So i looked at my photo from the colony i took two days ago and there it is...
23834ae13cd9aecce.jpg

Totally out of focus, but that was the start of eveything.
That white area has grown to about 3 times that size going into the sand.
There are white spots on the live rock too.

I then looked at the small group of anemonies (Bottom picture)
It seems that the purple mats had little bumps on them, and that those bumps are even more baby anemonies so it looks like i have a baby colony.

Sounds more and more likely this is a clove polyp or a star polyp colony

Then i noticed tho other things.... (Did not take photos)
First, i saw two very small anemonies that look like these:
23834ae13a519329c.jpg

What are they???

Those are Aiptasia Anemonies, dont put them back as they can spread like a weed

Then, secondly, the stangest thing...
It looks like a big spider made a woven nest next to my rock going into the sand. I can see what looks like an exit hole about 3mm in diameter in that white mesh stuff.
It's almost like those sac spiders make? not a typical spiderweb, more a cocoon type of environment.
I can lift the liverock to see what is happening, but i don't want to do that.
I also do not see my cucumber anywhere anymore.......

Could be a sponge, a pic would clear it up

Hi there.
Thanx.
I have not removed mine (Aiptasia Anemonies) from my live rock. The pic is a downloaded one.
I will take some photos today and post them on monday.
Please let me know if they are pests (Just please double check my photo when i upload) so i can dig them out of the rock before they get bigger if tehy are Aiptasia Anemonies (they are only 4-5mm long now)

Thanx for the help.

Oh.
What and how do i feed the clove polyp colony? live brine shrimp and a suringe?

Some reading i found.. Most of you will know this but here we go in any case:

How To Eliminate Aiptasia Anemones with Lemon Juice

Aiptasia, or Tube, Glass, Rock Anemones are thought by many saltwater aquarium hobbyists to be a beautiful addition to their reef tank when they unexpectedly begin to sprout out of live rock. However, this attitude generally changes once the aptaisia go into their reproductive mode and take over the entire tank. The first step an inexperienced hobbyist takes is to cut off or pull the anemones from the rock and substrate. Unfortunately this usually leads to a population explosion, as each of the microscopic pieces which are left behind in the tank sprout into another anemone.
As discussed in our "How To Get Rid of Aiptasia Anemones" methods article, there are a number of natural predators that can be introduced into an aquarium to consume the aiptasia in order to stem the tide. The bad news is that once the aiptasia are gone, some of these animals will consume the stuff you wanted left intact such as zoanthids, coral polyps, and a myriad of the other marine life that make a reef tank so fascinating. As far as injecting caustic solutions or using over the counter treatments, to a true naturalist the thought of adding chemicals to a reef tank is out of the question.
The good news is that after some experimentation we discovered a simple, non-intrusive (except for the aiptasia) way to quickly get rid of an unwanted aiptasia anemone population in a reef tank. Inject them with lemon juice! This procedure requires only 2 items and a few minutes of your time. You'll no doubt be just as surprised as we were at how fast, effective, and safe this removal method is. See the results by looking at our aiptasia on and around feather duster and zoanthid stone infested with aiptasia BEFORE and AFTER injection comparison photos for yourself, then try it!
Items Needed:
  • 1 Bottle or squeeze dispenser of Lemon Juice From Concentrate.
  • One 3ml Latex Free Syringe with a 0.5mm x 16mm needle. Your local pharmacist can provide you with the syringe and needle for about a half a dollar. Don't be surprised if your pharmacist asks you a few questions as to what you plan to use the syringe/needle for.
Procedure:
  1. Remove the syringe and attached needle from the wrapper.
  2. Twist the needle cover to tighten on the syringe.
  3. Remove the needle cover. Shake the bottle (or dispenser) of lemon juice.
  4. Fill the syringe with 3ml lemon juice by inserting the needle into the lemon juice and pulling back on the syringe plunger.
  5. Insert the needle into (not through) the base (not the top) of the anemone.
  6. Inject about .5ml of the lemon juice into the anemone. Withdraw the needle and proceed to the next one.
  7. When you are finished, disassemble the syringe/needle, rinse in clean freshwater, dry, reassemble and store for future use.
Tips:
  • As with any sharp instrument, use caution when handling it and keep it out of the reach of children.
  • When you insert the needle into the anemone, it will normally withdraw, making the lemon juice still quite concentrated in the anemone tube. It is not unusual to see a white puff or string of white material emit from the anemone when you inject the juice.
  • A steady hand is needed to insert the needle into the anemone tube. The smaller the anemone, the more difficult the task. You may want to let the smaller anemones grow to a size which makes the task easier.
  • The small amount of lemon juice being used shouldn't affect the pH of your tank water, and if you have a fair amount of current in your tank the localized increased pH should disperse rapidly and have no affect on surrounding reef life. Ironically, when the lemon juice is injected into the anemone tube, the critter will close up and shrink, temporarily sealing the juice inside the tube.
  • If you have a very large population of aiptasia present, as a precautionary measure to prevent any possible pH imbalance from lemon juice overload, it is best NOT to treat them all at one time. Choose a small section of the tank to do first, wait several days to be sure all is well with the aquarium water quality, then move on and treat the next section.
Ref: About.com
How To Eliminate Aiptasia Anemones with Lemon Juice A Reef Tank Safe, Effective, and Easy to Perform Injection Procedure That Costs Only Pennies!

I dont target feed my green star polyps. I put coral food in every now and then and they thrive. If they are Star polyps they grow like mad!

Do NOT dig the enemonies out of the rock chap, that will spread them like wildfire - get some Joes Juice from one of the sponsors (or try a kalk slurry - search for it - I am not convinced that this works and I have had it spread after using kalk - may just be me). Target the Joes Juice into the mouth of the aiptasia and within seconds its dead and dissolving.

Back
Top Bottom