ID please

Reaction score
well i dont really know my surgeons...:blush:

fish29-02-2012037.jpg

fish29-02-2012023.jpg

thanks!!:thumbup:

is that locally caught or did you buy it in?

id say its a bristle tooth from the shape of the mouth, but not a colouration ive come across before. Nice looking fish though, but will need some feeding up

Looks like nigrofuscus, cant see in the pic, should have a black dot at the base of the dorsal fin, next to the tail.

This dot doesnt exist on a tenenti, which has a blue ring around its scalpel

yeah it has the dot...so its a A. Nigrofuscus i guess..

i have a proclem though. i got me 2 convicts as well, theyre not eating. starting to get a bit thin. any tricks on how to get convicts onto flake? ive never have a problem with a convict in my entire life, so confused here:blush:

my only guess at why theyre not eating is the fact that i put 2 in at the same time?

Try get some small rocks from the ocean with some sea lettuce on them and put ir in your tank so that they can graze off them and to keep rhem alive. They will eventually go onto flake/pellets, theres something about the convicts from this season coz all the ones I caught this season had trouble eating not like previous seasons where if i put a convict in my tank they would instantly chow flake or whatever

Last edited:
Had a Achilles tang that didn't eat - only once we put in a big sun sun and gave the qt lots of circulation , -it ate garlic soaked mysis.

We had a purple tang last week that enjoyed Cheto , - our yellows don't , but if you have it , you might as well try it...

good luck

How about Nori (the stuff used in sushi)? You can get it in A4 size sheets at Woolworths and Pick n' Pay... I have four wild caught convicts, and the first time I put the nori in the tank they went absolutely stupid for the stuff.

ive tried...theyre just not interested...

haha as soon as i put the chaeto in, the YT and scopa munched it hard! NOM! NOM! NOM!!
And the Convicts..are they also going for the Cheato...?
i have a proclem though. i got me 2 convicts as well, theyre not eating. starting to get a bit thin. any tricks on how to get convicts onto flake? ive never have a problem with a convict in my entire life, so confused here:blush:
I thought you where asking about the Cheato for the Convicts...sorry my mistake...:blush:
Some other options for you if Cheato doesn't work...:)
Feeding Convict Tang

The Convict tang is an herbivore fish that feeds on benthic algae in the wild. Benthic algae are algae that grow on the bottom of the sea. The Convict tang plays important roles in the ecosystem as it helps preventing corals from getting overgrown with algae. Convict tang should be feed mainly vegetable matter in the aquarium, but a little meaty food in their diet is good as that provides them with precious proteins. Never feed them to much meaty food as their bodies weren't developed to handle protein rich food. Meaty food once every two days is enough. Suitable vegetable food includes spirulina, zucchini, broccoli, leaf lettuce, and dried seaweed. Suitable meaty food includes fine chopped sea food, mysis shrimp and brine shrimp. Feed your convict tang at least 3 times a day.
It is beneficial if the aquarium has prolific marine algae growth for the fish to graze on in between meals.
Convict Tang

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom