ID NEEDED - strange growths in sump

Reaction score
Hey, can some1 please I'd these funny furry cotton wool looking growths in mu sump and overflow area, one side is attached to the surface, looks like some kinda nest thingy but growin all over diferent sizes......

utf-8BSU1HMDA3NDAtMjAxMTA0MTctMTAwNC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDA3MzgtMjAxMTA0MTctMTAwMy5qcGc.jpg

Calcareous sponge, do a search for scypha sponge, I think that's it.

@viper357 ... Hey thanks dude, checked it out , correct u are!... So its scypha,,,,, good or bad, internet give diferent opinions, wat causes it? Should I get rid of it? Is having scypha indirectly alertin me of somethin I should check for?....any1 with scypha experience?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tons of these! :eek:

I sometimes have loads of these, they seem to come and go, not sure why, but they are harmless filter feeders and eat small particulate matter that floats around in your water, I'm guessing they would do well in well fed productive tanks as there will be more in the water column for them to feed on. But all in all one of the good guys to have, harmless.

lol ok so I googled it. They are just filter feeders. If there is a population explosion like in my case, after a month or two they will die down to just a few

i have them in my sump as well. dont stress too much about things growing in your tank as its all part of having a reef

Back
Top Bottom