I need some good advice

Looks like the "milkfilter" got a few good side effects.
The skimmer performance is much better, because the outlet pipe is now completly open.
The temperature dropped. Good thing, because the grow out system was always running one degree higher than the broodstock system and that without any heater!
Tomorrow I have to monitor and adjust the skimmer, monitor the temperature and the filtersock.

The skimmer is working like he never did before.
The temperature dropped by two degrees and is from now on equal to room temperature.
Temperature dropping in the broodstock system is unwanted, so I have to see if I cover the milkfilter. The long, 350mm sock doesn´t last for 24 hours. To much food waste is coming out of the growout system. I used the short sock now in one overflow from the broodstock system. Still have to plumb the other milkfilter into the second overflow. I´m sure for the broodstock system the short sock will last 24 hours.
Now I´m curious how the nitrate levels perform.

Hennie, I always walk through the shops and especially shops like plastics for africa with open eyes. What do they have and for what I can use it.
With hopefully beeing a farmer soon, but with no clue about cows and milkproduction, I never would have thought of these milk filter socks.
Right from the beginning I was thinking to use filtersocks. Then I could not find plankton mesh and after I found it, it was to expensive.
Surely, I could have made socks from mesh, but then I have to wash them out, etc.
To much work. But know, I´m very happy with this solution.
The short sock is running well for 24 hours, filters the overflow from 3 broodstock tanks (375 lite volume).
The long sock in the growout can handle 18 to 20 hours before it overflows. So I replace it by view. It´s quick to do and the result in terms of visible dirt in the filtersock is quite amazing. I mean, what amount of waste gets produced by 3 Pairs?
And the sock is almost overflowing after 24 hours.
Next step is to put in each broodstock tank a 3 or 5000 litre sun sun pump, with a timer. So all the settlement gets lifted into the column and caught in the socks.
I believe, that parasites like MI gets caught in the sock too.
I think it would be worth to research the sizes of MI, but I´m sure it will get caught in the sock.
Every LFS should think of adding this kind of filteration to avoid spreading MI or other parasites.
The problem at any LFS is, there fish is swimming in overstocked tanks with very little flow and movement. After a good clean, the sediment gets into the column and MI starts to attack the fish. The same thing happened to me twice. Since I run to sun sun pumps at night to lift the sediment from during the day, I don´t have any problems with MI or bacteria infections.
The best idea since developing the wheel! Thanks again, Hennie. I owe you one.

In case somebody is interested to build this kind of filter, I still have to make one and I will take some more pictures.

Awesome thanks for sharing Marcel.

Could someone post a picture of these milk filters? Also where would one obtain these filters?

Keep us posted!

Pleasure Sentari.

Pictures are in post #60.

Supplier in CT: Unsgaard & Samson, 18 Induland Crescent, Lansdowne
021-6901800, ask for Jackie.

I´m sure they supply right through the country.

I think the best is to post, how to build a "milkfilter", in a new thread in the DIY section. I will post the link here!

Back
Top Bottom