I got a Crab

Reaction score
Hi everyone hope all is well.

I have a crab (hitch-hiker on the live rock) what do i do? Do i get rid of him or do i try identify him and keep him? what if he is a good crab (emerald crab) or is it just a bad idea to keep it?

Then if its a bad idea and i need to get rid of him how do i catch him? and what do i do with him?

you got a crab...eish:lol:

catch him.... take a photo and place the guy in the sump....and upload picture onto masa.

Put a piece of shrimp or fish tied to a little piece of rock in a glass. Then place this glass at a 45 degree angle in your tank next to where you have seen the crab. Do this at night and you will have yourself a captured crab quickly...

Agree with Lanzo

Easiest way to catch him would be to watch which piece of live rock he crawls into, assuming he's small, and then take that piece out and get him out from there. Otherwise you will have to trap him using a fish trap. This tends to be a bit difficult cause, as murphy's law would have it, you end up catching every creature in the tank except the crab.:) So removing the rock is probably the best.

The glass should also be against a rock so it can easily go into it. If you have cleaner shrimps then you are pretty much stuffed as they will be in the glass in like 2 seconds...

OK ok tonight its on!!
me and a crab.
It is only about the size of a 50c piece

Guys what if its a good crab?
More like what if its a bad crab what do i do with him??
I will post a pic as soon as i have the little guy in the glass.

did you see the kiddies move "Flushed Away"?

you see the kiddies move "Flushed Away"?[/quote]Whahahahaha

Just a matter of interest say I want to do a 10% water change but I test the water before and all the parameters are perfect do I still do the change or leave it till next week?

Yes, other minerals in the water that you can not test for needs to be replaced. Or added

Well not yet I need to know can I use any fish like fresh fish that we catch. i am very nervous putting anything into the tank.

Guys still no luck with this little critter. I will do the Glass trick tonight.
I will post pics as soon as I get him.

Yip some do eat algae.

If all else fails - another way is to take some bait (hake/silverside) and put it in a stocking take the piece of stocking and with a string/gut tied to it. place it where you have seen him. Apparently they get stuck and cannot get free from the stocking - pull him and the stocking out. Put him in the sump and then put the stocking on your leg again:)

Back
Top Bottom