I freaking hate Eskom!

I know I would be scrutinized for this one, but for a normal 2 hour power outage, I do nothing. Unless I happen to be at home and my rooter goes down. Then I will start up the generator and put the tank on power backup. But I do it more to get back on the internet....

The longest my systems been offline was 6 hours. TS1 skimmer pump that leaked power and tripped the house just after midnight. When I got up, the house did sound very silent. Fearing the worst, I got the power back up after eventually removing the quarantine system with faulty skimmer from the power supply. Fearing the worst I waited for the lights to come on. All my fish were happy. No noticeable effects on the DSB either. Everything seems as if nothing happen. Temperature did drop a bit, but did not really check the low point. Skimmers did not overreact.

Then again, I might have been lucky.

OK, this did happen in Summer. Winter most likely would result in bigger temperature drops. My house is isolated. And my fishroom as well, being part of my garage. There is isolation in the roof.

I do not advocate to do nothing. Every tank is different. If you overstock, then you will not be able to run a tank without any power as another similar size system.

Nano tanks, like TL450 and TL550, can also not run long without power. The canopy area is just too small to allow for the tank to breath. Open top systems and gas exchange can happen easier. Even if there is no draft.

a NP-pellet reactor must be on power backup.
Cannot go down, and if the power was out for a while, do not switch it back on and pump the dead water inside into your system. I reckon the same for any other reactor type of object. Water that did not allow for any gas exchange to happen.

I am looking after @Gesiggie system. A Nanocube 24, same size as a TL450. But its heavily modified. She is based in Potchefstroom, much colder than Centurion. They had power outages almost every day for 4 or more hours. The tank just did not made it. Lost all her fish except 2 clowns. Clown Gobies, Midas Blennie, Orchid gramma and Rusty angel did not make it. They are all small fish. And the tank do not have its internal filters anymore, so more swimming space.

The temperature drop was just too much. And staying in a duplex like complex, running a genni was a bit of an issue.

So yes, every system are different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont forget that most of your tanks heat is lost because of the evaporation prosses and slowing this down helps a lot. the other thing that can help, is on your non display window which is normally blacked out anyway, is glue a thin peice of sagex into place and if you want the water bottle idea to work place it near your return if you have got a small inverter to only run the return pump (this is for us plebs that cant afford to run the latest ups and genny set ups):)

I am looking after @Gesiggie system. A Nanocube 24, same size as a TL450. But its heavily modified. She is based in Potchefstroom, much colder than Centurion. They had power outages almost every day for 4 or more hours. The tank just did not made it. Lost all her fish except 2 clowns. Clown Gobies, Midas Blennie, Orchid gramma and Rusty angel did not make it. They are all small fish. And the tank do not have its internal filters anymore, so more swimming space.

The temperature drop was just too much. And staying in a duplex like complex, running a genni was a bit of an issue.

So yes, every system are different.

The same tank?

Last edited by a moderator:
The same tank I got from you years ago with the cracked back panel. Its still running. Must be one of the oldest nano systems around.

Wow Riaan, Makes the give away thing so rewarding that reefers can get enjoyment out of items that were going to sit in my garage for years till i got round to them.

Great job bud :thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom