Huge ship in huge trouble

Reaction score
Fully loaded ship left this afternoon out of the harbour, just to get smacked by huge waves...
Ship is carrying coal and it is full of fuel and oil....
Already snapped and about 300 meters away from dolosse.
Standing looking at it.... Not a nice site, especially with the oil spilage..

Snapped? Ship still afloat?

Richards Bay Harbour.... All crew safely ashore, cuts and bruises...
But the ship does not look too well. It is still stuck on the sandbank but already torn in front of the bridge... Dunno if it will last through the night, as hightide is coming. Swells are still big, hitting over the dolosse.
What is worrying is the amount of oil, fuel and coal.....

not cool, sucks, that is going to stuff up our beaches up north big time

not nice :(

How the hell does a massive ship break in half? Kak welding?

Easy... Harbour mouth is about 20m deep. Ship draft is about 16-18m under water (fully loaded). Add massive swells, the beam picks up and pushes the backside down, hitting the bottom... And then you get chaos.
This was human error.. Swells is massive, no ship was supposed to go in or out, and then you get port control who was supposed to know better than letting ships out, especially when they loaded with coal...
Never seen so many port control bosses etc at the lookout point where there control tower is.... Someone is definitely on the red carpet.... If this ship still looks ok tomorrow morning, it will be a miracle

Someone is definitely on the red carpet
Imagine being that person. :eek: I kak myself when I bump something off the shelf in the supermarket, imagine how this dude feels right now. :lol:

Just saw the news. Another ship breaking apart in the Cape. Salvage teams gave up to pump out oil and fuel.
Ship was carrying rice.
Other ship stranded at Buffels Bay.

Imagine being that person. :eek: I kak myself when I bump something off the shelf in the supermarket, imagine how this dude feels right now. :lol:

Dean, for many years the norm here was that harbour "gate" "close" for any ship when swells are 3.5 m in height. The swells today was reaching 6.5m plus.....
How on earth does one give a 800 million bucks ship, fully loaded, permission to leave port when the swells break over the dolosse....

I would definitely kak myself if I knew I played with peoples lives...

well, then they not going to cut his ...
I mean her, oh. hmm, whateva

Back
Top Bottom