How to cure live rock

spot on,90% of my LR is fully cured and in my tank for cycling/maturing my DT.

The other 10% is in the dark box with heater and powerhead.(doing 2 water changes a week)
Dont want to run the risk of that dreaded algae spreading to other LR.
will keep that infected LR contained for 5 weeks.

Also,when cycling the tank/maturing the DT can i put the subtstrate(arag) in the DT or wait till tank has run its cycle then add substrate?

Question. This is some rock that was sold to me as LF but was thinking of taking it out and replacing it with the normal LF from another LFS. My question is can I put the new rock into the tank as soon as I get it back home or must I leave it in a seper
IMG_2647.gif
ate container?

Jumbo - that is FANTASTIC rock that you have there. It is definitely not alove anymore. BUT, can be "Seeded" by adding some really good/really "ALIVE" live rock to your tank. I would not remove it if I was you.

Thanks for the write up :thumbup: .. but I wanted to know just what are copepods and what do they look like? :whistling: .. also if the rock in the LPS is in the tanks with fish and stuff, is that cured? :1:

Hi Tremayn - here's some pics of copepods and amphipods:
Copepod:
Copepod40x2.jpg

Amphipod:
Amphipod1.jpg

These pictures are hugely magnified. These tiny crustaceans are sometimes barely visible to the naked eye.

W.r.t the question of live rock at a LFS:

NO - not specifically. You will have to ASK how long the live rock have been lying in the tank/s at the LFS. Only live rock that have been lying for more than +-6 weeks can be deemed "cured"..... (all the die-off have be replaced with only life, and will not cause ammonia spikes in your tank when you add the live rock to your tank)....

OH! now I see. Thought copepod's are like lil sea lice things..:whistling: .. Really learn alot on this site... Want to know alot before I start my tank so I wont screw up things :peroni:

@Mekaeel if I got Fiji rock outside on a shelf for the last year or so ... Open to the elements can I use this method ? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mekaeel if I got Fiji rock outside on a shelf for the last year or so ... Open to the elements can I use this method ? Thanks

Hi Mala.
Being left outside open to elements, I suggest placing the rock in a plastic drum and let the rock skim out and perform regular water changes to remove any nasties that may have collected in/on it. I suggest also running some carbon to remove any toxins that may have built up over the period the rock stood.
After several weeks, the rock can be introduced to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom