How do you clean your filter socks

Reaction score
As the heading says how do you clean your filter socks what cleaning methods do you use!

I don't bother, chuck them and put a clean on. I usethe pool gobler socks, think they are around R40 for 4 so cheap enough to replace weekly.

i asked this a while ago i another thread , as i was frustrated with trying to get them as clean as possible.
guys recommended that you use some beach to kill off the stubborn bacteria.

i "hand wash" until i get them as clean as possible , and then leave then i water with some bleach over night.
next day i re rinse them in Ro water , to make sure beach is off.

bear in mind i do have about 10 socks , to make sure i dont have to clean like everyday

I spray all the dirt off with a hose and then soak them in tapwater with bleach. Then rinse with tap water till the bleach smell is gone, then rinse a couple of times in RO water and then leave them to soak in some RO with some prime in it to remove any left over bleach.

They are cheap but its quite a drive to go get more all the time.

even tho its cheap, not everyone can afford to just throw away and replace :lol:

what i did was easiest method,put it in washing machine wit NO CHEMICALS just a water wash,with the vigarous flow it washes is nice and clean,then take out ,turn inside out and repeat
dont worry bout stains,it wont come out but aslong as the dirt is off and sock becomes usable is what matters

note, i used this method for an entire year and half with same load of socks from my initial purchase:thumbup: and also ,i dunno if all machines has quick mode,but thats what i used and it took me less than 15min to wash both inside and out

Last edited:
i use high pressure hose after i have soaked them in a bucket with hydrogen peroxide for 2 days works very well!

Each to their own I suppose. My personal belief is that I spend so much on other aspects to keep my tank pristine the R40 for 5 filters which last a month is worth the peace of mind :) Replacing with a new sock also makes my weekly maintenance that little bit easier.

@459b how much are the milk filters and where do you get them from?

Last edited by a moderator:
I also chuck and then replace with the pool gobler socks every week.

Milk socks are great, But around here a bit hard to find, that why I use the pool gobler socks.

Back
Top Bottom