Herbtana and skimmers

Reaction score
hi guys,

i added some microblift herbtana to my tank as i saw a couple of fish "scratching against rocks. now my skimmer is going nuts and keeps overlowing. is that becuase of the herbtana or is something else wrong. how do i get rid of the herbtana in my tank as i would rather have a skimmer,?:(

Last edited:
You must switch your skimmer off when using hernatania. It will make your skimmer go crazy, also no point in dosing meds if the skimmer is skimming them out, good luck.

Just leave it off for a couple of hours after dosing them switch it back on, won't harm your tank to be off a bit

You are supposed to use it for ten days, otherwise it is pointless, I used it, and left my skimmer off for ten days, tank was fine.

What do you mean months and twenty water changes later, how long have you been using it

What do you mean months and twenty water changes later, how long have you been using it

sorry,let me rephrase, :lol: i dont want to do 20 water changes in order to get rid of the herbtana. i stopped using it after 2 days as i would much rather use my skimmer. i dont have white spot,maybe i do,but water quality for me is more important and works better imo than meds. i added the herbtana just in case.

Ok Charl so here is my view. I ran that tank and realised I had ich and started using herbtana. I turned the skimmer off for 10 days in I halved my feeding. The snails did not like it one bit but the fish recovered and I was rather impressed. The skimmer went mad but what I did was to raise it and I skimmed wet for 3 or 4 days.

Ok Charl so here is my view. I ran that tank and realised I had ich and started using herbtana. I turned the skimmer off for 10 days in I halved my feeding. The snails did not like it one bit but the fish recovered and I was rather impressed. The skimmer went mad but what I did was to raise it and I skimmed wet for 3 or 4 days.

howzit Sean.

good to see u back on MASA. cant raise skimmef anymore is the pump is almst out the water, i still have it overflowing.cups fills up after a minute. dd you lose all your snails ? i have quite a crew and would like having non left over after this.

Last edited:
Bud use your frag tank for the snails. Trust me on this one it works like a bomb. Remember I have experiance on your tank.
If the skimmer is an issue then come loan mine for a week. Its in storage at the moment.

Similar exasperate, I use to use the double douse method (can't recall the other name in the range), ran my tank without the skimmer for 7 days and then a 20% water change.

Love watching the skimmer cone online ;-)

Bud use your frag tank for the snails. Trust me on this one it works like a bomb. Remember I have experiance on your tank.
If the skimmer is an issue then come loan mine for a week. Its in storage at the moment.

Thanks for the offer Sean but I dont think its the skimmer . Will keep on dosing though, will need to set up my frag tank again as its no longer. might even use a bucket with some live rock in it for a week and a small powerhead. Will this affect my clams?

Similar exasperate, I use to use the double douse method (can't recall the other name in the range), ran my tank without the skimmer for 7 days and then a 20% water change.

Love watching the skimmer cone online ;-)

I think I will stick to the meds for the full 10 days. Rather safe than sorry. How did the Herbtana affect your snails @2balive. Im skeptical as its more a case of prevention than a cure at this stage. Not even sure if I have itch in my tank.

Last edited:
I used herbtana with 8 snails in my tank... all 8 accounted for after treatment. Turned my skimmer off for 13days, just halved the feeding and every last fish in my tank pulled through. Herbtana is really an awesome product but yes it made my skimmer go crazy still after 3 days after I stopped dosing and did the recommended 20% water change.

I used herbtana with 8 snails in my tank... all 8 accounted for after treatment. Turned my skimmer off for 13days, just halved the feeding and every last fish in my tank pulled through. Herbtana is really an awesome product but yes it made my skimmer go crazy still after 3 days after I stopped dosing and did the recommended 20% water change.

Thanks for your input @ReefStudent. I decided to continue with the herbtana treatment and will do so for 10 days as per instructions. Also not setting up the frag tank for snails and leaving them in my tank. So I am hoping all will be well, including my
clam. Rather safe than sorry, would hate to get white spot in that tank, after having been free of white spot for 3+ years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all types of snails are affected Turbo snails are affected though they will fall off rocks for no apparent reason I lost 4 snails thanks to Herbtana. Anyone want a 3/4 bottel its free.

Hope all works out for the best man. Let us know as soon as treatment is over. Tagging along

So I have decided to stop dosing this HErbtana stuff a couple of days ago, my fish are o.k and it was more of a precaution. This stuff has driven me up the wall, skimmer still going bonkers, killed two snails as well. Did a 40 liter water change last night hoping my skimmer will be o.k, no luck , thing still foams like I have put sunlight in my tank. For now Special Blend acts as my skimmer. :lol: Will leave this Herbtana stuff for quarantine when I need to use it again.

@charl Stanhope the only way to get Herbtana out is let your skimmer cup fill up and then discard the water keep on doing skimmer cup will take longer to fill up after every cup you throw away takes +- 10 cups.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom