Hennie away for a while...

go get them Hennie and please take some pic of the hunt. I dont want to be the only one to post hunting pic on the form.

OK, I'm BACK...

Had a really wonderful time in the bushveld, and it was real bliss not having my cellphone on for 4 days - that alone was worth it...

I had a great hunt, and managed to shoot a really nice blue Wildebeest bull over a distance of just over 200m, after stalking it for nearly 30 minutes in rather open terrain. Also shot a nice Impala ram.

Here is a photo of the Wildebeest:

1094a523937508b7.jpg

We got uncomfortably close to a group of white rhino...

1094a5239f71cca8.jpg

and I was really tempted to shoot this giraffe (if only I could afford to pay in US Dollars :whistling:)

1094a523b394c395.jpg

In all, we took 7 Blue Wildebeest, 3 Impala, 3 Warthogs and one Red Hartebeest

Hennie

WOW! Nice Hennie! Many thanks for sharing! You have my mouth WATERING for a bushveld hunting trip...... Eish - dunno when I ever will be able to do this.

That's some of the NICEST "biltong bokkies" you have taken! WOW! Enjoy the meat, man!

I suppose this thread has gone a bit off-topic - apologies for that.

Can a moderator please move this thread to the "Off-topic - Sports and lifestyle" sub-forum.

Thanks,
Hennie

Looks like you guys had fun

I don't think "fun" is the right word to use when killing animals. We had lots of fun around the camp fire in the evenings, telling jokes, having a few drinks, etc. but hunting is (or should be...) rather hard work if you're hunting ethically. I don't quite know how to describe it - the walking in the bush is so peaceful, and successfully stalking a wild animal who has much finer developed senses than yourself is rather thrilling (or perhaps a better word would be exhilarating), but it always saddens me to some extent when I squeeze that trigger, knowing that I'm killing an animal to satisfy that inborn "hunter's instinct" which still lurks deep beneath my "civilised verneer".

In days gone past the hunters used to be the most respected members of their clans, and I believe that deep down in most of us we still need the reassurance that we can bring food to the family table, even if it is just some biltong... OK, enough philosophy...

I would like to go hunting as I have never done so... Welcome to the club, the only thing I hunted, was a few Pigeons when I was a kid...

If you guys are serious then I would be honored to do my bit to guide you in the right direction, seeing that I don't have any sons to train in these "manly" passtimes (my daughters are both good shots, but refuse to shoot any animal...). Let me know - we could start a "how to hunt" thread to discuss the finer points, perhaps there are more people interested...

Hennie

I WOULD BE INTERESTED! ;)

I USED to be a very good shot in highschool, was part of the school sharp-shooting team..... BUT, it has been a very long time since I held a rifle/gun.....

At some stage, I was also trained up in sword-fighting ;)

Not that it would help any way - a sword would just not work in this situation ;)

Back
Top Bottom