Henk

Reaction score
Hi there.I have a lt 450 and want to know if i must put any charcoal bags in the filtration department.There are red things growing on the side of the tank and on the live rock.looks like a small tree.Is it good or bad.its about 15 mm long.I got the tank second hand,and its running for 2 weeks at my place.Water tested good.Salt is Fine.Water temp 24 degrees.Where is the best place to buy marine spare and fish.I would like to get the tl550 later on.It cost about R2600.Is that n good price.

Henk,

Carbon would be a good addition to the filter compartments at the back.
Even better IMO, would be a combination carbon & phosphate removal compound. The product is all in one and comes in a filter bag ready to use.
There are a few different brands available , so shop around a bit.

When you say your water tested good .... What does that mean ?
Can you post parameters please.

Insofar the red things growing are concerned .... please try and post a picture .
Too difficult to tell from your description alone.

Spares for your tank as well as fish are available from the sponsors . Check out the sponsor pages on the forum.

My recommendation on LFS's : Dorry Pets and Idol Marine :thumbup:

I would not put carbon in the tank unless you are trying to get rid of something specific. ie medicine etc. A phosphate remover on the other hand is a very good idea.

Hopefully the red thing is a hitchhiker coral but as Apollo says, a pic would be usefull.

Henk,

I've looked at the pics that you have uploaded.
Looking at the last two pics - the red things you are referring to look an awful lot like Aiptasia anemones. It's not very clear on the picture , so I'm guessing a bit regarding a positive ID for the "red things" , but they appear to have slim threadlike tentacles.

If it is Aiptasia , they are not great things to have in your system , as they will mutliply and multiply . They can outcompete with any corals later on for space.

See if you can post a close up shot of them

Can you see what size the file is ? The site has a maximum size it allows for obvious reasons. I always take photos on VGA setting otherwise the file is too big.

Henk,

I am assuming that you are referring to the "red things" in the latest pic you have uploaded ( I copied it below)

22674aa66a42872f2.jpg

That my friend ...... is Aiptasia for sure. It looks like you have quite a few on the rocks.
IMO I would get rid of them now .

Nuke them with either Joe's Juice or a cheaper alternative is slaked lime ( gebluste kalk) which you can pick up at most chemists.
Just make up a slurry of the slaked lime and inject directly into the center of the Aiptasia.

Back
Top Bottom