Help!

LOL, dude this is a marine Fish Forum..... i think there is a sister forum for freshwater tanks ..... i dont have the link, hopefully someone else can post it for you

well maybe we should refrain from promoting ethically questionalbe practices on an open forum, the question posed was not can you breed guppies in a marine tank....

We certainly would not be promoting keeping fish which are adapted to a saline environment being put in freash water so why should we promote the opposite ...

silly post

@ Neil. That was rather presumptious. I don't recall promoting it in any way. I thought it was rather obvious that guppy's are freshwater fish and that once stated the topic was closed. I simply find it quite incredible that a freshwater fish could survive and breed in a marine tank - as an objective point of interest. I most certainly don't promote it. I give him grief about it all the time - as a zoologist I am very aware of the stress that must induce, but I do not dictate his actions. Did you fail to read the last bit were I clearly state that I questioned the ethics?

Hi, new to the guppy breeding,need help!

Hi GNC,

It's quite easy, really - place one male and one female in your tank, and give them a month of two to settle in. If the water quality is even semi-OK, the female will become pregnant, and after a week or two she will give birth to live little fish babies. If you don't have any other fish in the tank, you have a 50:50% chance of the parents not eating the babies, and they will grow into adult guppies within a few months. To be really safe, you should rather remove the male once the female is visibly pregnant, and place a "live bearer" fry trap in the tank(either the type where the female is kept in a small box with small holes in the bottom or sides for the babies to swim through, or just a glass pane slanted from the back of the tank to the front, with a small (3mm-5mm) opening between the edge of this glass and the pane of the tank, through which the babies can escape.

Enjoy the experience, and come over to marines once you've mastered the fresh-water side of the hobby.

Hennie

@ Neil. That was rather presumptious. I don't recall promoting it in any way. I thought it was rather obvious that guppy's are freshwater fish and that once stated the topic was closed. I simply find it quite incredible that a freshwater fish could survive and breed in a marine tank - as an objective point of interest. I most certainly don't promote it. I give him grief about it all the time - as a zoologist I am very aware of the stress that must induce, but I do not dictate his actions. Did you fail to read the last bit were I clearly state that I questioned the ethics?
Geesh, you're a bit snappy for someone who's new to the forum. Chill out bro...:)

Hahaha, my apologies if I came across a bit strongly! :) I was just a bit annoyed to be accused of something I feel so strongly about, especially when I said nothing of the sort! I also disagree that my relatively new presence on the forums has anything to do with defending my posts?

Dane, you have to understand the number of people who arrive on this forum asking for help.... just read through the threads.... things like help my nennie is not happy ..... well no shit sherlock, you dont know how to look after it, the lighting is terrible the flow is shocking and the tank is 2 weeks old ..... and i can list a dozen other things that people new to the forum come looking for help with (although guppy breeding is a first).....it happens ALL the time and there are those amongst us that get upset when creatures suffer through ingnorance (and in some cases not ignorance)..... if you want something then do the research ..... Saying something like breeding guppies in salt water gets under my skin, i will not appologize for that, it is IMO ingorance and stupidity to do that and that comment i direct at your mate, not you.

I am glad that you feel the practice is not ethical, but if you are going to post statements like you did in the first post of this thread, make sure that you decide which side of the ethically questionable you sit and state that, saying a practice is ethically questionable does not in my opinion tell me where you stand on the practice, it just states that it is questionable. Hence my reply to that statement

OK, everyone, you've probably scared the poor original poster away for life ;)

This person asked a rather straight-forward question (though likely in the wrong forum), and a few polite, straight-forward answers were called for...

Hahaha, my apologies if I came across a bit strongly!

I'm sure Crispin will accept your apology - and yes, blandly stating that his previous statement was false certainly WAS a bit strong - actually, I would say "very strong". In fact, by your statement you were calling him a lier... I agree with Crispin's point of view, it would be pretty difficult for someone apparently just starting out with the hobby of keeping fresh-water fish to keep anything alive in a marine tank - especially if that person does not have the knowledge of equipment to do so. Note that Crispin did not say that it was difficult to keep guppies in a marine tank - he said: "if u need help breeding guppies, then marines will prove quite a challenge".

Here at MASA we place a premium on being polite, considerate and helpful, as we normally are in the real world - just because you are anonymously online does not give you an excuse to be rude :nono:

Hennie

Thanks for mediating Hennie :) I know forum disagreements can go off at a tangent. Tho I can hardly call my posts anonymous when the pic is of me and my alias is my name! hehehe. Over & out, apologies to all if I came across to strong ;-)

WOW! this is kind of awkward to read:whistling:... I GNC does return I could sugest if he wants to breed guppies just chuck a few in a pool with a ratio of about 3 females to 1 male(but throw in about 20-40, to get them to breed faster and throw a net over it for those darn birds and cats;)). It worked for my friend amazingly and he had a resevoir full of guppies in about a year! For what do you want to breed guppies for live food maybe to a lionfish or something...

Just for interest sake, can guppies like Mollies survive in saltwater ?

They dont call guppies the millions fish for nothing. Those guys breed like crazy and are pretty easy to breed. Just look breeding livebearers or poecelids

Warren they are brackish water fish and can survive in both environments

Back
Top Bottom