Help Please

Reaction score
Overnight this decay/damage has occured to the coral. What would have caused this?

See the white skeleton in the centre groove

tank102.jpg

Seeing it's a montipora, the first suspect would be Monti eating nudi's. Have a look for tiny white thingies on it, less than 1mm in size.
If your cam has a macro facility, take a close shot of the "eaten part"

Mekaeel, yes it is the only one so far.

Ivan, how big are they will I be able to see them? are they out all the time or just at night? The only thing new that has gone into the tank are the frags that I got from you.

Here is a clearer picture

tank116.jpg

Something is definatly eating it. For monti bugs look underneath the coral they hide under the plates or branches check for a crab at night.

Thaloin, thanks for the thread.

Just an update. My two rather large Hermits moved to the Coral and grazed around it Since midday yesterday and were there the whole night and this morning. I checked a couple of times during the night but saw now bugs or crabs. There has also been no deteriation of the coral thus far. I do not know if the hermits had something to do with that though.

Is it possible that another sps fell onto it. Damage from this type of event can take some time to show (24hrs)

Sunburst no. What is strange it is not from the bottom but in the middle of the coral with damage elsewhere.

Mekaeel I doubt it, it is directly under a light and it just appeared overnight. If it was light it should have been slow and noticeable

Sunburst no. What is strange it is not from the bottom but in the middle of the coral with no damage elsewhere.

Thats what made me think of a branch of another sps that had fallen over and got wedged between the digi branches. The damage can take some time to show. I would not be worried though, if that is the case. They recover lost skeleton very quickly.

good to hear :thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom