Help Nitrite, Nitrate and Ammonia levels are slightly high

Reaction score
Hi there,

This is my first post and would appreciate if someone could help me. I recently bought an established aquarium (NanoCube) which has some fish and invertebrates.

I have been testing my water every day this week and I have noticed that my Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels have increased.

The levels I had tested were as follow,

NO3 10mg/l
NO2 0.05mg/l
NH3 - NH4 0.2mg/l (ppm)

I was given MarineSnow to put 2ml in my tank on a daily basis and as far as fish food is concerned I have bought Dr. Bassleer's which I have been feeding a single small (tiny) amount first thing in the morning.

Do I need to do anything to rectify the situation? I am panicking a bit as I will be traveling out of the country this afternoon for three days and I am not sure what to do.

I am a bit concerned that some of coral don’t look as bright as to the first day that I had received them. I also have introduced an Anemone over the weekend and followed very detail instructions.

Do you think that I have overfed or could it be that I have introduced the Anemone that these levels have increased? The Anemone was established on a live rock but has since then moved to the back of the aquarium and has lodged itself behind a rock and it appears to be hidden.

I have checked the tank and I don’t see any livestock or invertebrates that have died. What normally causes these testing levels to increase?

Keith

Have you been doing water changes? Especially with nano's you have to do these regularly. I'm assuming you dont have a sump? How much liverock do you have in the tank?

Keith,

First of all, how old is this setup? I know you said established, but how established is it?

Have you been doing water changes? Especially with nano's you have to do these regularly. I'm assuming you dont have a sump? How much liverock do you have in the tank?

I only got the tank on Friday of last week and its when the last water change was done. I would say that there are about 10 different pieces of live rock in the tank.

Welcome to MASA Keith! I am quite sure we will be able to assist in having your issues sorted asap!

First of all - please answer the following questions:
- have the person you bought this from, explained to you about water changes, and keeping marines in general?
- how much DO you you know of keeping marines?
- First step, would be to get some ready made up sea/salt-water from a LFS (where are you, that we can suggest a LFS), and then change at least 10% of your water, at first
- wait another day or two, and change another 10%
- repeat these steps until the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings are down...

Keith,

First of all, how old is this setup? I know you said established, but how established is it?
When I bought the tank I was told that the setup was 5 months old. You can see its a well established tank as there is established algae at the back of the Nano

Welcome to MASA Keith! I am quite sure we will be able to assist in having your issues sorted asap!

First of all - please answer the following questions:
- have the person you bought this from, explained to you about water changes, and keeping marines in general?
- how much DO you you know of keeping marines?
- First step, would be to get some ready made up sea/salt-water from a LFS (where are you, that we can suggest a LFS), and then change at least 10% of your water, at first
- wait another day or two, and change another 10%
- repeat these steps until the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings are down...

Thanks Jaque, I am in Brakpan and there is a local place where I can get sea water. Before I bought the tank I had done some reading and Exotic pets in Boksburg North did explain what it is that I need to do. I am a bit nervous because we did do a water change as early as Friday.

Do you recommend that I do another water change so soon?

Keith,

Do a 10% WC ASAP. Then test again after a day.

When you moved the tank, did you move it with water and all?

Sounds like there is a bit of die off during the move, i would take it easy with the water changes, you may just be removing as much beneficial bacteria as bad nitirite and ammonia, let the tank settle back down and every few days do a small water change, stability and gentle change is the key.

Welcome to MASA

are your test kits good - many a time you will find that test kist are a problem as they could give incorrect readings - get your water tested at your local LFS

also you should have not bought a nennie for a nano - there is just too little water in a nano so if the nennie dies the whole tank will go.

are your test kits good - many a time you will find that test kist are a problem as they could give incorrect readings - get your water tested at your local LFS

also you should have not bought a nennie for a nano - there is just too little water in a nano so if the nennie dies the whole tank will go.

The kit that I bought is the std Tropic Marin, Expert Testset. Doyou think that I should remove the anemone?

Have to disagree with you here a bit.

I have had a nennie die and nothing was adversely effected. Why would you say everything will die if your nennie died?

Have to disagree with you here a bit.

I have had a nennie die and nothing was adversely effected. Why would you say everything will die if your nennie died?

I would imagine the reason would be that, should the nem die, if not removed quickly enough the params of the tank would crash rather rapid, large water changes and filter floss and carbon would clear that up though, but in all honesty a nano is not suitable for any nem long term

yes is my opion on the nennie he is not for a nano and if kept in a nano then it should be kept by an expert
i woudnt keep one in a nano

BUT you an expert Gali ;)

I'm to scared to get a nenny and I have a 1200l system....

Back
Top Bottom