Help me pimp my pico...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekkengal

Reaction score
So I have had this little tank (8 litre) running for just under 3 months now and have not worked on it much since I chucked Bojangles, my hitchhiker crab, into it. Now while my nano is busy sorting out its phosphate issues, I am keen to do something with this tank but need a little inspiration, some info on equipment that I may need and if it is feasible to do some sort of mod on it.

Now from the time I started it up till now the tank looks the same:
IMG_0271.jpg

Firstly, I don't like that skimmer. I have had endless problems with it and now want to chuck it out. Is there anyone that can recommend a good skimmer for a pico and where to get it? Or a DIY?

Secondly, I need some inspiration for the rock scaping. I think there is some beauty in negative spaces so I don't want the back of the tank to be filled with rock. Does anyone have any nice ideas for aquascaping a tiny tank?

Thirdly, stocking the tank. I'm am going to only have coral in it. Not going to stress a fish out with such a tiny environment. I would like to put a flame shrimp or something similar in but I don't know if the tank will be big enough for them. I would also like a little starfish and maybe a tubeworm but now I am treading on some dangerous waters as I know that this may be overstocking this size tank. So any advice in this regards is highly appreciated!

Lastly (for now), filtration. I have purigen, chaeto and rowa phos remover. Is there anything else that I should consider or have left out?

Is there any other recommendations that you guys have to offer?

Sorry for the lack of pics, promise to post more after a few changes have been made :blush:

What skimmer is that in there? what problems you having with it?

With regards to filtration KISS(keep it simple stupid.) Nano's are such small environments. personally id rather stick to large weekly or bi weekly changes, and dose special blend and the purigen. no po4 remover, skimmer or cheato.

It is the type that works off an airstone. The water levels in the skimmer are too finicky to get right to ensure that it functions properly. That pic was taken a week after the tank was setup so the airstone was still new and my tank's water levels were high but as you can see, the bubbles were not even hitting the overflow. Then there were other instances where it kinda over skimmed and that little waste cup filled up in a day. :confused1:
So ja, not impressed in the least, lol!

Don't mind going to simple route, could you define large water changes? Like 50% changes? What is special blend?

whoa! ok you have a pico.. thought you had that little aquaria nano tank

I just started using it myself..
Microbe-Lift.com :: Special Blend

Awesome Belinda !!!

Personally I would chuck that little skimmer and get a small cannister filter, you can run some floss, carbon & PO4 remover in there. The heater can then move to the skimmer department, thus giving you more space.

As for LS ...tricky but I would stick to a shrimp or 2 , some zoas, maybe mushroom etc...smaller softies

If you can keep the salinity constant you can rather add some sexy or bumble bee shrimp, the will be more in proportion to he tank's dimensions.

Miniature fan worm will also work, have seen them in lime green.

Those sound interesting, thanks! Will check them out!

whoa! ok you have a pico.. thought you had that little aquaria nano tank

lol! I have both dude :biggrin: I need something to distract me from my nano while it sorts out the phosphate problem otherwise I will be tempted to interfere with it.

one system id look into is a ato. i saw a hamster type bottle used to good effect as a top up system once. ill see if i can fine it

Dude, I will be eternally grateful! I have seen it once but didn't bookmark the page and have been kicking myself ever since!

I just started using it myself..
Microbe-Lift.com :: Special Blend

Thank you! :thumbup:

Awesome Belinda !!!

Personally I would chuck that little skimmer and get a small cannister filter, you can run some floss, carbon & PO4 remover in there. The heater can then move to the skimmer department, thus giving you more space.

As for LS ...tricky but I would stick to a shrimp or 2 , some zoas, maybe mushroom etc...smaller softies

I am with you on the skimmer. I really hate that thing. I do have a question though: butcherman recommends a limited filtration setup and you recommend the canister setup. Could you guys help with the pros and cons of each method? :blush:

Cool pico!!!!:thumbup:

Thank you! :)

read this and you can see how his topup worked and also maybe scavange some ideas. its also skimmerless ;)

Here's a closeup of my bunny drinking bottle ATO. Works like a bomb as soon as water level is below the tube it lets in air release some RO water until tube end is submerged, restoring the vacuum. I attached it to the wall via double sided velcro - super strong stuff - 500ml RO water so hoping it will last about a week.
5554b49cf6ee4034.jpg

I wonder if this would work with a 2L or 5L Canister for my little BOYU..I only top-up about 350ml a day...:p This could make me go away for a night and not panic about Salinity..:whistling:
5554b49cf6ee4034.jpg

I belive it worked well. You need to make sure the container is air tight, mounted above the tank as is works on gravity. As the water level drops below the outlet pipe air enters and water escapes, this raises the waterlevel above the outlet pipe and stops the water coming out.

Thanks butcherman!
I got the bottle, just need the tubing.
Will post an update today if I manage to get this working. :thumbup:

Thanks butcherman!
I got the bottle, just need the tubing.
Will post an update today if I manage to get this working. :thumbup:
Where did you get the bunny bottle..Petstore..? or can a person make you'r own..? I would prefer buying a bottle like that because then, in the end, it will surely be sealed properly..:blush:

Where did you get the bunny bottle..Petstore..? or can a person make you'r own..? I would prefer buying a bottle like that because then, in the end, it will surely be sealed properly..:blush:

I own a bunny but she no longer uses the bottle to drink so I am cannibalising her cage :lol:

You can get the bottle at any petstore that sells rabbits, just ask them for the rabbit bottle instead of the hamster one and you should be sorted ;)

I own a bunny but she no longer uses the bottle to drink so I am cannibalising her cage :lol:

You can get the bottle at any petstore that sells rabbits, just ask them for the rabbit bottle instead of the hamster one and you should be sorted ;)

wrong! Go in the pet store and ask for a Chupacabra bottle! :lol:

Sorry for the delayed response, only managed to but all the stuff today :p
Anyhow, got velcro, tubing, a little piece to hold the bottle up however when the bottle is full the velcro cannot support the weight...will have to get some cable ties or something to help hold it up.

So for the pictures:
Before pic
IMG_0394.jpg

The stuff that I bought (I love Builders Warehouse!!!!)
IMG_0393.jpg

All setup and some aquascaping done
IMG_0396.jpg

Lights on and water settled somewhat
IMG_0397.jpg

Added some Special Blend and Purigen. Can't wait to add some corals to the tank! :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom