Help extreme driving me Extremely Mad!

Reaction score
Help extreme skimmer not working properly

So i went out and managed to get an extreme 200 external. Thing is that pump is driving me mad. everytime i connect the venturi for it to create the bubbles it starts vibrating and making a crazly loud vibrating sound. I got the original pump exchanged for a different one and this 1 is doing the exact same thing. Its so bad that i had it running outside and it could be heard inside the house. These are brand new pumps, striped, cleaned and put back in and its doing the same thing. When its just pumping water its fine as soon as the venturi is connected it goes mad. Anyone know whats the issue?

Last edited:
Sounds like the pump may be cavitating. as in it has a huge air bubble on the wheel. if you let it pump just water for a while it may blow out the bubble or maybe you could tilt the skimmer/pump to get it to go out. this may stop it. you could also try restricting the air hose to see if its a possible fix

in a bucket with water its doing this disconnected from the skimmer, its just worse in the skimmer

I had the same problem with a pump a few weeks back. Switch it on and off till you hear the noise is gone. What kind of pump is it?

my return pump started doing this for the last few months sometimes it remains loud for up to a day but then it comes right.
it hadnt done it during the first few years so im assuming its age.

you got this issue with new pumps then somethings not right....maybe too much air being sucked?try throttling the air intake some how or check the impellers properly

Yup @keyaam the problem is that the needle impellers have so much drag that they do not start properly. The most common cause is salt or dirt buildup on the venture not allowing enough air intake. The impeller is designed to caveatate, that is how the air is broken down to the white fine bubbles we all want. By blowing and sucking in a pant like manner on the air intake tube temporarily fixes most times however the fix is temporary. One really need to clean the venturi and ensure that no muck is restricting the venturi.

Z, hows the skimmer doing today?

Guys i took it back to the shop i bought it from and replaced it with a Orca 135. I am really disappointed but i received EXCELLENT service I really think that these pumps are better suited in internal skimmers and not recirc as i have never heard of problems with the internal ones and in the states only the internal ones are avail. anyways thats for the help

Block the air pipe untill it pumps clean water then open the air line. this is a problem because of the way the pump is mounted imo.

Back
Top Bottom